Chenery Middle School - Grade 5 Music Selection
Arto Asadoorian, Director of Visual & Performing Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nicolette Foundas, CMS Asst. Principal for Encore Programs, email@example.com
- All 5th Graders attend music classes four days during each six-day cycle at CMS.
- The Grade 5 Music curriculum at CMS is performance based.
- Students choose either band, chorus or orchestra as their performing ensemble in Grade 5.
Our hope is for students to find success in an ensemble that they enjoy, and that they will choose to continue participating in music throughout their time in the Belmont Public Schools.
Some similarities between band, chorus and orchestra include:
- Two large ensemble rehearsals and two smaller group instruction blocks per cycle.
- Two performances over the course of the school year.
- Instruction led by highly qualified, enthusiastic music educators.
- A focus on instrumental/vocal technique and a high level of musicianship.
- All instruction takes place during the regular school day.
The music faculty will present all of these options to students during the first few weeks of school. Below you can find some basic information about each option. More information is available on the BPS VPA website.
The goal of the Grade 5 Chorus program is to help students develop their singing skills and music literacy (note reading) in a fun and supportive setting. The smaller class sessions for chorus will focus on development of vocal technique and music literacy, while the ensemble rehearsals will center around the selected performance repertoire.
- There is NO Participation Fee required for Chorus.
- Students do not need to rent instruments for Chorus.
BAND & ORCHESTRA
Many students played a string instrument in Grade 4, and they have the option of continuing their study in the Grade 5 Orchestra. Another option for students will be to begin on a new Band instrument. (Students may also start as beginners on string instruments if they choose.) The smaller “group lessons” focus on specific instrument technique and music literacy, while the large band/orchestra rehearsals focus on building ensemble skills and working on selected repertoire.
String Instrument options (Orchestra)
Band Instrument options
- French Horn
A Participation Fee ($250) is required for Grade 5 Band or Orchestra. Students provide their own instruments, which can be rented on Sept. 19 at Instrument Rental Day.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR SELECTION (By Sept. 19)
Talk to your students and choose either Band, Chorus or Orchestra.
Complete this registration form to make your selection. https://forms.gle/juNovSzguizufK6y6
- If you chose Chorus, you are done!
- If you chose Band or Orchestra, continue to Step 3.
Band and Orchestra only
Go to www.belmont.k12.ma.us/bps/fpa/Registration to pay the BPS Grade 4-5 Instrumental Music Registration Fee ($250) or apply for a fee waiver.
- Fee waivers and reductions are available. Instructions are available at the registration link above, or by calling 617-993-5990.
- David French Music provides free/reduced price instruments to qualifying students.
- Powers Music School provides free/reduced tuition to Saturday Morning Music School as well as for weekly private lessons. More information is available on their website.
Band and Orchestra only
Attend Instrument Rental Day in the BHS Cafeteria on Sept. 19 anytime between 4:00-7:00 PM to rent your instrument from David French Music.
- Rental prices vary by instrument, generally ranging from $25-50/month
- Bring a photo ID and major credit card to Rental Day
- You may acquire an instrument any way you like, you are not required to rent from David French Music. Renting is generally a much wiser financial choice than purchasing an instrument.
- This is an interest-free, rent-to-own agreement.
- Most repair costs are covered by your rental agreement.
- Resizing string instruments is included as your child grows.
WHO TO CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS