Address: Butler Elementary School
90 White St,
Belmont, MA 02478
Contribute to the Butler PTA online by using the Pay Pal Button below. Donations are tax deductible.
Thanks to all of our young mathematicians and scientists who participated in our virtual Math and Science Night! As we start to wrap up the school year, we are so grateful for our whole Butler community. Butler PTA is stronger with YOU. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming more involved. No matter how much time you have to give, your participation will benefit our community.
All Our Best,
Stephanie Crement and Megan Olowinski
Butler PTA Co-Presidents
In this newsletter, you will find information about:
1. Upcoming Events:
- Belmont Books Virtual Event - May 19
- PTA Board Meeting - May 20 (All are welcome!)
- Multicultural Week - May 24-28
- Color Day - June 8
- 4th Grade Moving On Ceremony - June 9
- Family Magic Show - June 9 at 6:30 p.m.
- PTA General Meeting - June 10
- Last Day of School Food Truck - June 16
- PTA Calendar for the rest of the school year
2. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
3. In-School Enrichment
4. Open PTA Positions for Next Year
5. Volunteers Needed for Butler Garden
For updates and information, please also check the PTA section of the Butler website, and join our Facebook pages: Daniel Butler PTA and Butler Elementary Belmont MA Parents.
Belmont Books Day for Butler - May 19
20% of in-store or online sales on that day go to Butler PTA!
Use this opportunity to shop teacher wish lists!
Enjoy a 7 p.m. Virtual Storytime via Zoom with Mr. Tavares and Ms. Hutton!
PTA Board Meeting - Thursday, May 20 at 7 p.m.
*All are welcome!
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 889 5550 1715
Multicultural Week - May 24-28
Flag Craft Night - Monday May 24 at 6:30 p.m. Please join us over Zoom in creating a flag of your choice, be it your country of birth, your heritage, a culture you are interested in, or any other flag that you identify with. More details to follow. The Zoom link will be emailed on the morning of May 24.)
Chilean Cooking Lesson - Wednesday May 26 at 5:30 p.m. We will be cooking a Chilean dish with Heather Lance. A list of ingredients will be sent out ahead of time so that participants have enough time to purchase the ingredients for the event. The Zoom link will be emailed on the morning of May 26.
* Each day of the week, there will be a link to a book on multicultural topics read by a Butler student! If you would like to submit a video of your child reading a book that represents what's important to you and your family, please submit a video filmed horizontally of your child reading the book. Include in the email your child's full name, your child's grade, and the title of the book your child is reading. Please submit it to Jona Papajani at email@example.com by May 17.
* Please add a slide to our Butler Multicultural Week slideshow. Add a slide of the flag you made at the flag craft night, pictures or images that represent your culture and/or what is important to your family's identity, a video of your child saying "hi" in another language, your child doing a dance, your child wearing special clothing worn for observing/celebrating family traditions, words or a message written in another language, or anything else you would like to share about any culture with which you identify. The link to the slide show is here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1owvNqopbLo4PI--UvtyaHHXkifXap_KPhFzAxOyPqGQ/edit?usp=sharing. Please add all your slides by Wednesday May 26 at 8 p.m.
* Finally, if you would like to participate in any other way not mentioned above, please contact Mariola Magovcevic at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how you would like to represent your culture.
Color Day - June 8
We are so excited to bring Color Day back to Butler this year! Save the Date: Tuesday, June 8 (rain date June 14). We will need lots of Parent and Family Volunteers; details and signups to follow soon! Can't wait to get involved or have any questions? Email Alex Machado (email@example.com) or Esther Soares (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Fourth Grade Moving On Ceremony - June 9 (*Please note the date change.) Questions or interested in joining the Moving On Team? Email email@example.com or BUTLERMOVINGON2021@GMAIL.COM.
Family Magic Show - June 9 at 6:30 p.m.
Join us for an evening of uplifting laughter and amazement. Performer Tim Hannig will virtually perform his Pro-Kids show live for Butler, with music, comedy, and magic. Some of our very own Butler teachers will be part of the show - join us to see what they get up to! And get ready to do some magic in your very own home! This evening show is for the whole family and will follow a daytime show that the kids will watch at school. It is a fun way to end a very unusual year with lots of laughter. Tim Hannig is a family entertainer who has performed at Six Flags Theme Parks and even twice at the White House!
We're looking for two students to be part of the show (for pre-recorded segments)! If your child is interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will randomly draw two names.
PTA General Meeting - June 10 at 7 p.m.
Last Day of School - Food Truck! - June 16 from 4 to 7 p.m. (Ordering opens on 6/13)
Red’s Street Kitchen - cheesesteaks, falafel, loaded fries, and more!
15% of sales go to Butler PTA!
PTA Events Calendar for the rest of the school year
Mark your calendars with these dates!
The PTA's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee has met a couple of times, bringing together parents who are interested in providing support and resources that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within our community. Members of the committee met with staff members of the Butler Equity Team, finding effective and meaningful ways for the two groups to collaborate.
If you would like to learn more about the PTA's DEI Committee, please join us for a meeting on 5/17 at 7:30 p.m. The Zoom link is below:
Meeting ID: 863 3887 3332
On May 6, Butler PTA hosted Crocodile River for an in-school, virtual assembly. Crocodile River performed African music and led an interactive dance lesson. Find more information about Crocodile River Music here.
Virtual Author Visit with Author Mượn Thị Văn (Second Grade)
On May 7, author Mượn Thị Văn visited second grade classes at Butler and the remote academy to read her new book, Wishes. For more information, click here. To buy her book from Belmont Books, click here.
Virtual Author Visit with Phaea Crede (Kindergarten and First Grades)
On May 10, author Phaea Crede visited kindergarten classes at Butler and the remote academy to read her new book, Jet the Cat (Is Not a Cat). On May 17 and 21, she will visit first grade classes. For more information, click here. To buy her book from Belmont Books, click here.
Len Cabral - Afterschool Assembly
On May 12, award-winning storyteller Len Cabral performed for two after-school assemblies. To read more about Len Cabral, click here.
Land’s Sake Farm (Second Grade)
On June 8 and 10, Butler PTA will host a virtual Garden Pollinators program through Land’s Sake Farm for second grade students at Butler and in the remote academy to supplement their plants and pollinators unit.
Virtual Author Visit with Renee Watson (Fourth Grade)
On June 3, Newbery Honor and Coretta Scott King Author Award winner Renée Watson will virtually visit 4th grade classes to talk about her books, Ways to Grow Love and Ways to Make Sunshine. For more information about this author, click here. If you’d like to order her books, click here.
The Butler PTA has many open positions for next year. Please help us bring events like Literacy Week, the school dance, the Fun Run, Color Day, the Talent Show, Multicultural Week, amongst many other fun activities to life! All of these activities were parent ideas, and we continue them every year. This year we added some new events that were suggested and planned by parents including the Crocodile River Music group, Len Cabral the storyteller, and Tim Hannig the performer/magician (who we will see in June).
The PTA also organizes all of the in and out of school enrichment that students enjoy!
Please view this link https://forms.gle/PW6pnXhoNjYxBX8V6 to see all the open positions. If you have any other ideas or want to participate in any other ways, please share your ideas!
If you have any questions or want to learn more about the following events/ positions, please contact the PTA at ButlerPTA@gmail.com or Christina Anderson at email@example.com.
Thank you to all of the volunteers and Green Team members who helped to refresh the Butler garden this past weekend. We have some ongoing garden maintenance needs that can be addressed at any time the school grounds are open: watering, weeding, general clean up.
Also, we need some additional herbs for the garden. Please email Liz Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Becky Rosen (email@example.com) to volunteer. Thank you!