Dear BHS Families,
We are now in the final days of our time in the current BHS building! Next Wednesday June 16 is the last day of school, and also the last day that students will be able to access the current facility. Please make sure that all personal items are removed before Wednesday. We will be sending information out about the new building (e.g. parking, drop-off, access) in August.
In this memo you will find additional information about the following topics:
- Schedule Next Week
- Quiz Show Celebrations!
- TedX Event - Today
- 5 Minutes Ago - Student Programming!
- Nursing Updates
- PAC Performances This Weekend
- ELA Summer Reading
- Marauders of the Week
- Grade 9-11 Awards Ceremony
- Virtual College Visits
- Upcoming LGBTQ Events in May and June
- Dr. Ask
Schedule Next Week:
Next week is our final week of classes. MCAS concluded today, so we will return to our full day schedule for all students on Monday and Tuesday next week. Wednesday will be a half day and students will be released at 10:30. Please see the schedule below:
BHS High School Quiz Show:
Belmont High School placed 5th quiz bowl nationally in the PACE National Scholastic Championship held this weekend! Congratulations!! see https://www.pace-nsc.org/
They've prepared for this for two years after nationals were cancelled in 2020. The team includes sophomores Cindy Gao and Kiril Kuppenbender and seniors/captains Seiyoung Jang and Nathan Sheffield.
5 Minutes Ago:
This week’s episode of 5 Minutes Ago can be found here. It’s such a great addition to the school community!
TEDxBelmontHighSchool - Event Today!
Like TED talks? TEDxBelmontHighSchool is an officially-licensed TEDx event taking place this Friday, June 11th at 4:30 PM. In case you are unfamiliar with the TEDx program, it is a branch of TED Conferences LLC that helps stage local TED events at schools, universities, and other communities. Every speaker at TEDxBelmontHighSchool is a current Belmont High School student. These speakers have been working hard over the course of two years to create the following talks:
- Aditya Jain - A Mentorship Revolution
- Jonathan Gao - Gen Z: Another Lost Generation
- Mariam Almusalamy - How Judgment Fails Us
- Kazuma Ban - Becoming the Main Character of Your Life
- Emily Kaiser - The Illusion of Perfection
- Ian Jackson - Isolation Play
- Alek Karagozyan - Introverts Have a Lot to Say
This event is FREE, but space is limited! Please reserve your tickets TODAY at tedxbelmont.com. We look forward to having you join us!
BHS Nursing Updates:
- COVID vaccine opportunities: BHS will be hosting a COVID-19 vaccine clinic for all our students on Monday June 14th 8am-11am. Students may get their 1st or 2nd dose of the vaccine. Please REGISTER HERE. Students must provide a hard copy of a signed Consent Form at time of appointment, and bring their vaccination card if it is their 2nd dose.
- Lahey Hospital has a vaccine clinic. See information here.
- Tufts’s vaccine clinic is open to students and families. Register for the Tufts clinic here.
- Student COVID vaccine numbers: As of 6/10, here are the percentages, by grade, of students who have received at least one dose of a COVID19 vaccine:
- 9th: 75.5%
- 10th: 73.9%
- 11th: 78.7%
- Please be aware that being fully vaccinated does not make you exempt from the Symptom Checker. Continue to monitor for symptoms daily and if you fail the symptom checker, stay home, notify the nurse, and be cleared prior to returning to any in-person school or activity.
PAC Performances This Week:
Belmont High School Performing Arts Company is Ending the School Year with TWO more Shows
- Friday, June 11: A LIVE improv show outdoors
- Saturday/Sunday, June 12-13: The Streaming Premiere of Some Enchanted Evening
Details about both shows below and at bhs-pac.org
OUTDOOR IMPROV SHOW
- The PAC Improv Troupe is performing a full show of our favorite games and scenes. Fresh off the success of our May Show, we'll be back at Clay Pit Pond (near the Veteran's Memorial at the corner of Underwood) with more improvisers, more games and more laughs. Friday, June 11 at 6:30 PM. FREE for everyone, registration/sign up ahead of time requested. Sign up at http://bhs-pac.org/improv-show
SOME ENCHANTED EVENING
- The PAC’s Spring Musical is a celebration of the Golden Age of Musical Theater. A collection of songs and scenes from classic musicals, the production showcases the work of our talented student performers and crew.
- This production honors great composers, iconic shows and groundbreaking work, including songs from shows that you aren't likely to see full productions of on the PAC stage. We're thrilled to give our students and audiences the opportunity to experience this material.
HOW TO WATCH:
The show is free to watch, but donations are encouraged.
- Watch on the PAC Website (bhs-pac.org). The show premieres online June 12 at 7 PM.
- The show will also air on Belmont Media Center TV (Comcast Ch 96/Verizon Ch 30) on Saturday, June 12 and Sunday, June 13 at 7 PM.
ELA Summer Reading:
ELA Summer Reading is here! Click the link below to find out what you should be reading this summer. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uUGF59QJlQEtizh8Pf1AmlxoykNGCvZdgxGo4sZGbKY/edit?usp=sharing
Marauders of the Week:
Help us celebrate our Marauder of the Week, Matty Rowan! We’re so proud of you! You can read more about this awesome Marauder here.
Grade 9-11 Awards Ceremony:
This week, we celebrated a number of our students at the Grades 9-11 Awards Ceremony on Wednesday evening. We are incredibly proud of those students who were celebrated on Wednesday as well as those who were not names but have worked hard all year long! For a link to a recording of the ceremony, please click here. For a list of award winners, please see here.
Reminders- by category - below
- Tri-M Music Honor Society
- Upcoming LGBTQ+ Events in May and June
- SAT/ACT Dates/Times
- Helpful Links
Belmont Highpoint, the school newspaper, recently launched its first advice column: Dr. Ask! It is an anonymous column where you can submit questions here: https://forms.gle/wTbxoN6gGfp4sg2c7. Dr. Ask will answer the questions and the responses will be posted on Belmont Highpoint's website. You can read the advice here: https://highpointbelmont.wixsite.com/bhsnews/dr-ask ! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminders from past weeks!
Tri-M Music Honor Society:
Are you passionate about music and community service? Consider applying to be a member of the Tri-M Music Honor Society! Tri-M is a national honor society that focuses on reflecting students' passions for music in a way that positively impacts the community. We meet once a month to brainstorm musically-oriented community service projects such as fundraising concerts, senior center performances, and mentoring Chenery students. Some of our most successful projects include our mentorship program and this year, sending and dedicating a virtual concert series to frontline workers at hospitals. We would love to have you join us! Please apply using this link: https://forms.gle/F4nEBZtHWHKQAFzf7 by June 18th. Membership in one of the BHS musical ensembles is required to apply. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Upcoming LGBTQ+ Events in May and June:
Please see this list of upcoming events in May and June sent to us by the Belmont Human Rights Coalition. List of Upcoming Events and more information about the upcoming Trivia Night.
Dear Junior Students and Families:
This spring, you can get a jump on your college essays. They’re one of the most important and time-intensive parts of the application process.
We’ve asked our friends at Prompt to help you. They’re college essay experts. They’ll be hosting a 30-minute virtual webinar for our families on “Secrets to Great College Essays.”
Our webinar is Monday, June 14 at 7:30 pm ET.
Click here to reserve your spot (RSVP required)
Note: This webinar is in the spring because we encourage rising seniors to start working on their college essays during the summer. This will allow more time for them to focus on academics and activities during their senior year.
To learn more about Prompt: https://www.prompt.com/belmont
The following exams will be held at BHS. Please sign up directly with the college board. Our SAT/ACT coordinator is John Sullivan firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday 6/12 7:45am
Saturday 6/5 7:45am
Here are some links from previous newsletters that may be useful:
- Symptom Checker: BPS student symptom checker every day (found here). If you answer yes to any questions (symptoms, close contact with a positive case, or travel), complete the follow up form (found here), and the school nurse will reach out to you with instructions.
- Technology Resources: Students should be accessing their Google Meet links for each course. Google Classroom pages contain the Google Meet link. If your child is having difficulty with technology, please have them email email@example.com
Anonymous Tip Line:
- Please text 978-540-5375 if you have information that you feel you should report to our school administration team and school resource officer.