Dear Belmont Families,
This weekend we celebrate the life and the message of Martin Luther King Jr. This day provides our students with a much needed day to catch up on sleep, and an opportunity to reflect on the courage of Rev. King and the people who have taken great personal risks to advocate for civil rights.
Please note, with quarter 3 ending, the deadline for switching from remote to hybrid in coming up on Tuesday! Please see below for more information.
The end of Quarter 2 will remain as previously scheduled. It will not be pushed back as a result of the snow day. The dates are as follows:
- Friday, 1/29: Quarter 2 Ends
- Monday, 2/1: Quarter 3 Begins
- Wednesday, 2/10: Q2 Report Cards Posted
As a reminder, there will not be a week of scheduled midterm or final exams this year. Teachers will continue to provide students with assessment and feedback opportunities in their courses.
Changing Status from Remote to Hybrid for Q3
As we approach the end of semester 1, we are providing the opportunity for our current remote students to change their status to hybrid/in-person learning and return to the school building should they choose. This change in status can only happen at the beginning of each quarter. If you are currently a remote-only student and wish to change to hybrid/in-person learning, you must complete this form no later than Monday Jan. 25th. If you are currently a hybrid/in-person student, or you are a remote student who wishes to remain remote, you do not need to complete the form. Please note that if you do not change to Hybrid/In-person learning for Q3, then the next opportunity to do so will be at the beginning of Q4 (April 6th, 2021). Thank you for your attention to this. Please reach out to your student's assistant principal with any further questions.
Isaac Taylor he/him
Here are some links from previous newsletters that may be useful:
- Symptom Checker: BPS student symptom checker every day (found here). If you answer yes to any questions (symptoms, close contact with a positive case, or travel), complete the follow up form (found here), and the school nurse will reach out to you with instructions.
- Technology Resources: Students should be accessing their Google Meet links for each course. Google Classroom pages contain the Google Meet link. If your child is having difficulty with technology, please have them email firstname.lastname@example.org
In this memo you will find information about the following topics:
- Nurse Update - Flu Shots Due****
- Freshmen Winter Crafting
- Marauder of the Week
- Schedule Update 1/20
- PSAT Information
- K-12 Registration
- Note from Highpoint Newspaper - Winter Writing Contest
Anonymous Tip Line:
Please text 978-540-5375 if you have information that you feel you should report to our school administration team and school resource officer.
Nurse Update: FLU SHOTS DUE 2/28
The Massachusetts Flu Vaccination Requirement states that all students provide documentation that they have been vaccinated by February 28, 2020 (the deadline has been extended from the previous date of 12/31). This requirement is for hybrid and fully remote students. Any student who is not in compliance with state required immunizations (of which the flu shot is one - please be sure you are up to date on the others as well) is subject to exclusion from school - both in-person and remotely. State requirements can be found HERE.
Documentation can take the form of an updated immunization record, an Rx printout, or a letter from a doctor. It must say which vaccine was given, the date it was given, and the student name.
To get your documentation to the nurses, please:
1. Drop it off at Belmont High School.
2. Mail it to Belmont High School ATTN: School Nurse, 221 Concord Avenue, Belmont, MA 02478
3. Have the provider fax it: 617-993-5909
You can reach out to the nurses with any questions email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Freshmen Winter Crafting:
The Freshman Class Officers are hosting a crafting event for 9th graders in the Cafeteria on January 22nd at 2:45pm. All crafts will be donated to a local nursing home (after sanitizing) in order to spread some winter cheer. Paper and a few other essential materials will be supplied, but we ask that you bring your own scissors and any other supplies that you’d like to make your craft special. Participating in this event will earn you one hour of community service. A mask is required to attend this event.
- Please sign up in advance by using the following link: Freshmen Crafting Event
- We need you to sign up by Wednesday, January 20th, so we know how many people to anticipate. Please direct any questions to Ms. King: email@example.com
Marauder of the Week:
Help us celebrate our Marauder of the Week, Brigid Hannibal! You can read more about Brigid here.
Schedule Update 1/20:
Monday 1/18 is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. There will be no school on 1/18. We will run an adjusted Wednesday schedule that week on Wednesday 1/20. Please see the schedule below.
Wednesday Schedule if Monday/Thursday Holiday:
45 minute classes, 10 minute HR, 5 minute transition
8:50 - 9:00
- 11th grade students who have registered will be taking the PSATs on Tuesday, 1/26. We will cancel Xblock that day and all in-person students will be dismissed at 10:55am. All students who have signed up to take the exam will be excused from both morning and afternoon classes that day.
- 10th grade students will be offered the PSAT on Wednesday, 2/24. Students who sign up to take this test will be excused from classes that day. More information about registering to follow.
We are pleased to announce BPS offers free tuition for kindergarten
Important registration information for current BPS families:
- You do not need to register a grade 1-12 existing Belmont Public Schools student again.
- You do need to register your incoming kindergartner even if you are a current Belmont Public Schools family. To ensure placement of your incoming kindergartner at the same elementary school as your grade 1-4 child, please submit all required documents to complete registration for your incoming kindergartner by April 9.
- Current Wellington preschool families will be emailed registration instructions.
- To enter Kindergarten, the child must be five years old on or before September 1st of the year they will attend school.
Begin your kindergarten registration online as of January 29 at: K-4 Registration
If you have any questions regarding your registration, please contact the school you registered with.
Note from Highpoint Newspaper: Winter Writing Contest
Submit a piece of creative writing about winter to the BHS Highpoint Newspaper and Magazine winter writing contest! The winner and a runner-up will have their writing published on the Highpoint website, and possibly in an upcoming print issue. If there is enough interest, there might also be another prize, such as a gift card.
You can interpret the topic of "winter" as broadly or narrowly as you want. We have included some prompts below, but feel free to ignore them if you have another idea:
- "Winter Wonderland"
- COVID winter
- The feeling of going from the cold outdoors to the warm indoors
- Trapped in the house during a blizzard
- Write from the POV of a snowman (from creation to melting)
Please keep your writing to no more than three pages double-spaced – this can be a short story, a poem, or any other type of creative writing that fits in three pages! Submit your story by Friday, February 12, through this survey: https://forms.gle/KkMYX1NdV3bVgLnNA. Feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Happy writing!
Clothes and Book Drive
We wanted to thank everyone who took the time to bring in donations to the Leaders United for Change club Clothes and Book Drive which happened last Thursday and Friday. We were able to gather about 210+ bags of used childrens’ clothes, shoes, and books to donate to Cradles to Crayons. Cradles to Crayons was very grateful for the amount of donations we were able to gather!
For those who missed the drive dates but still would like to donate, we are looking at possible drives in the future towards the end of the school year, so hold on to those items!
Thank you once again to everyone who made this a successful drive!
Isaac Taylor he/him
Upcoming Events/Save the Dates:
School Pictures 9th -11th grade
End of January - more info to come.