Dear BHS Families
As we prepare for our move to the new building, a number of mysterious, benevolent tentacles are spreading through our existing building…many students, faculty, and visitors probably know what I am talking about, but for those who do not, I am referring to the proliferation of artwork that has been appearing around the building over the past weeks, and has now spread to every hallway, and many of the classrooms and offices. This contagion started with a pink tentacle that was painted in the art hallway in January, and this theme has expanded out to include tentacles appearing out of worm holes in the walls, holding masks, watering plants, and highlighting fresh art.
What I love about this statement is that it shows that we are not giving up on Belmont High School, even as the demolition date for our building rapidly approaches. We will not be able to take this forest of pink vines with us when we go (although I am working on creating a montague of the paintings in the entrance to the new building) but that is almost the point. This fleeting art marks a moment. Just as we have different seasons in our lives, Belmont High School has and will continue to change and evolve. I am so grateful to the organized and imaginative student artists and their teachers for helping us to both mark a moment, and keep the school building vibrant and dynamic to the very end.
In this memo you will find additional information about the following topics:
- Deadline to Opt-In for In-Person Learning
- Virtual Orchestra Performance- Music for Food Fundraiser video!
- Climate Action Club- Special Event
- Tri-M Music Honor Society
- Nursing Updates
- Senior Website
- Marauders of the Week
- Virtual College Visits
- MCAS Update* NEW EMAIL
- Upcoming LGBTQ Events in May and June
Deadline to Opt-In for In-Person Learning:
If you are a remote-only student who would like to come back into the building for in-person learning, the deadline to notify the school of this decision is Monday May 10th. Please email Carol Ouellette (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to make this switch. Students who opt-in will be invited back to the building beginning Monday, May 17th.
The Belmont Orchestras proudly present our Virtual Orchestra Performance- Music for Food Fundraiser video!
In partnership with Music for Food, an international organization that engages and teaches about hunger and food insecurity, the Belmont Orchestra students in grade 6-12 have creatively collaborated on a virtual performance piece, D Major Jam, by Jessie Montgomery. We present this video to our entire Belmont community to raise awareness about hunger, and to raise funds for the Belmont Food Pantry.
By sharing our musical talents, we hope to raise funds locally for our community members in need. This fundraiser will be open through May 15, 2021.
Please take a few minutes to watch our video and consider a donation through Music For Food: https://musicforfood.net/index.php/donation/
Thanks for watching!
Climate Action Club -Special Event
Are you interested in engineering, art, gardening, community organizing, or a potential summer internship? Climate Action Club is holding an event on May 5th at 1:15 pm for you! Holly Muson, a member of the Community Path Project Committee, will present about the new multi-use path through Belmont. The path will run across Belmont, and will provide a crossing underneath the train tracks to the Winn Brook neighborhood. Please join us to learn about how the path will be built and how high school students can add their voices to the community process!
If you have any questions, reach out to Shea Brams at email@example.com
Zoom link here: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/77607186213?pwd=WUIzZUFKQXB6ZlRDVU01Qnd0OTlsUT09
Tri-M Music Honor Society:
Are you passionate about music and community service? Consider applying to be a member of the Tri-M Music Honor Society! Tri-M is a national honor society that focuses on reflecting students' passions for music in a way that positively impacts the community. We meet once a month to brainstorm musically-oriented community service projects such as fundraising concerts, senior center performances, and mentoring Chenery students. Some of our most successful projects include our mentorship program and this year, sending and dedicating a virtual concert series to frontline workers at hospitals. We would love to have you join us! Please apply using this link: https://forms.gle/F4nEBZtHWHKQAFzf7 by June 18th. Membership in one of the BHS musical ensembles is required to apply. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
BHS Nursing Updates:
- Pooled Testing Resumes: Pooled testing starts again on Tuesday 5/11! It will take place every Tuesday during lunch in the courtyard (foyer on rainy days). To take part, please complete both consent forms found HERE. If you were already participating, you do not need to complete the consent forms again. Email any questions to BPScovidtesting@belmont.k12.ma.us
- COVID vaccine opportunities: The Belmont Health Dept. shared an opportunity for our families and students 16 years or older to have access to the COVID19 vaccine. They will be running this clinic Wednesdays and Thursdays 11am-4pm. https://home.color.com/vaccine/register/metronorth . Families can also find nearby appointments through https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine or https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-vaccination-locations
- Symptoms after COVID vaccine: If students experience side effects from the COVID19 vaccine that make them fail the Symptom Checker, they must stay home, complete the Follow up Form, and wait to be cleared by the nurse before returning in person.
- Masks Still Required: As CDC and state mask mandates change, know that BPS still requires all staff, students, and parents/guardians (regardless of vaccination status) to wear face coverings while in our buildings, on our school grounds, and during school-sponsored activities.
- In-person students should bring a water bottle and an extra mask each day.
Please continue to refer to the Senior Website!
Marauders of the Week:
Help us celebrate our Marauder of the Week, Abby Morin! We’re so proud of you! You can read more about these awesome Marauders here.
JUNIORS - Virtual College Visits
There are some regional virtual college fairs that may be of interest to you.
New England ACAC Virtual College Fairs
Students: Register for Free
New England Virtual College Fairs
◼ Sunday, May 16: 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
NACAC Virtual College Fairs
Students: Register for Free
◼ Sunday, May 2: 1 – 7 p.m.
Starting Wednesday, March 31 we will be scheduling a very limited amount of virtual college visits. These visits will be held on Wednesdays from 11:30 to 2:00 for 30 minutes for each college. All visits will be listed in Naviance only. Please check Naviance regularly to see which colleges have signed up and to participate in the virtual college visit.
MCAS - Update - JUNE TESTING
Please check your emails for an email from Assistant Principal Ruane with all MCAS information including dates and schedules.
Reminders- by category - below:
- Upcoming LGBTQ+ Events in May and June
- Navigating the New Schedule
- Opt-Out Forms for Frees
- SAT/ACT Dates/Times
- Senior Signs Update
- Hiking Club- Student engagement opportunity and a way to connect!
- AP Exam Update
- Helpful Links
Reminders from past weeks!
Upcoming LGBTQ+ Events in May and June:
Please see this list of upcoming events in May and June sent to us by the Belmont Human Rights Coalition. List of Upcoming Events and more information about A Conversation About LGBTQ+ Issues.
Navigating the New Schedule
The link for last week’s zoom meeting (where we went through the new schedule, lunches, and MCAS) can be found here - https://youtu.be/9V6Tm5rpLaY.
If you have already filled out the forms to give your child permission to leave either during Xblock or first/last period (only if it is a free), then we still have those responses. If you’re child is coming into the building beginning Thursday and you would like to give permission, please complete the following forms:
The following exams will be held at BHS. Please sign up directly with the college board. Our SAT/ACT coordinator is John Sullivan email@example.com
Saturday 6/12 7:45am
Saturday 5/8 7:45am; Saturday 6/5 7:45am
Senior Sign Update:
Delivery coming next week! If you ordered a sign before March 30, your sign will be delivered within the next week by volunteers. If you ordered after March 30 or didn't order yet, don't worry! The next order will arrive in mid-May. To order your signs, go to: http://bhsallnightparty.com/senior-signs/ and remember there are options for senior households AND anyone else who wants to show their support for the Class of 2021.
JOIN THE BHS HIKING CLUB!
Do you like SOCIALIZING OUTSIDE? EXERCISING in the FRESH AIR? THE BHS HIKING CLUB IS STARTING UP SOON! We will begin with smaller, local afternoon hikes, eventually aiming for longer, more challenging day hikes.
AP Exam Dates:
The correct date for your student’s AP exam should be listed in their portal as of today. Please encourage your student to log on to College Board to verify that their exam date and location is correct. If there is a mistake, please email Ms. King (firstname.lastname@example.org) for her to correct. Please find BHS’s AP Exam schedule here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V5_K6acAEgfCIgJPVm9YOC-I3bkJtMP6HnbqtnPDnwo/edit?usp=sharing
Here are some links from previous newsletters that may be useful:
- Symptom Checker: BPS student symptom checker every day (found here). If you answer yes to any questions (symptoms, close contact with a positive case, or travel), complete the follow up form (found here), and the school nurse will reach out to you with instructions.
- Technology Resources: Students should be accessing their Google Meet links for each course. Google Classroom pages contain the Google Meet link. If your child is having difficulty with technology, please have them email email@example.com
Anonymous Tip Line:
Please text 978-540-5375 if you have information that you feel you should report to our school administration team and school resource officer.