The course selection process begins in the late winter. Teachers will recommend a course level (CP, H, AP) for each student for the next year. If a student or parent/guardian has questions about a teacher’s recommendation, he/she should consult with the teacher. The teacher’s recommendation will become the student’s course level placement unless the student or parent/guardian(s) initiates the course placement review process. Detailed course information can be found in the program of studies which can be accessed by clicking on the link below.
Students disagreeing with their placement in a recommended core academic class should first talk with their teacher and begin the placement review process. Course Placement Review forms are available below.
Course Placement Review Forms for 10th - 12th Graders:
Elective Courses Selection:
- Elective Course Offerings for 10th Grade
- Elective Course Offerings for 11th Grade
- Elective Course Offerings for 12th Grade
Course Selection Timeline and Instructions for Students
- The Program of Studies for 2020-21, which has a description of each course is available on the school website under Departments > Academics > Program of Studies 2020-21.
- During the week of January 29th - February 10th your teachers will talk with you about recommendations for classes for next year. You should share with your teachers what level courses and what electives you are thinking about so you can have discussions if needed with you teacher prior to final recommendations.
- On February 11th your course recommendations will be posted on Plus Portal. You will be able to access your recommendations as part of the course request form. This form should be submitted through the portal no later than February 28th.
- Any forms submitted past the deadline cannot be guaranteed priority enrollment in your elective choice.
- All future 10th graders must select 32 credits including Positive Decision Making; all future 11th graders must select 32 credits including 2 credits of PE electives; All future 12th graders must select 32 credits, which must include 2 credits of PE.
- Please use the new time management calculator to help estimate the amount of hours you may spend on homework when selecting courses. This will help you to develop a balanced course load. It is available on the school website, under the Students tab as well as under Guidance > Course selection > Time Management Calculator
- February 11th - 28th is the time to have any discussions with parents and teachers if there is a disagreement with a recommendation. If AFTER you have a discussion with your teacher you still want to pursue a course placement review that form is also due no later than February 28th. It needs to be completed electronically. Course placement review forms can be found on the course request form under each department.
- At some point between March 2nd-20th students will come to the guidance office from their Physics class for 9th graders, History class for 10th graders and English class for 11th graders to meet with their guidance counselor to ensure they are signed up for courses and are on track with graduation requirements.
- All elective courses are considered proposed courses and run based on enrollment. At the end of May, if any class will not run or a student ends up with a conflict in their future schedule, their guidance counselor will contact them.
- ALL ACADEMIC INDEPENDENT STUDIES MUST BE TURNED IN BY JUNE 5th
- If you do not know what course you will take semester 2 please list some potential courses and then once the semester 2 schedule is out verify which course with your guidance counselor.
- BE SURE TO DISCUSS WITH YOUR GUIDANCE COUNSELOR AN ALTERNATE COURSE CHOICE JUST IN CASE YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO BE PLACED IN YOUR FIRST CHOICE ELECTIVE CLASS.
- You will be notified in May if you have any conflicts on your schedule.
- Current 11th graders: ALL PE INDEPENDENT STUDIES MUST BE TURNED IN BY THE DUE DATE FOR BOTH SEMESTER 1 AND 2 AND FULL YEAR (See form for dates). THOSE WITHOUT A SPORT OR IND. STUDY AS OF March 20th WILL BE PLACED IN A PE CLASS AND IT WILL REMAIN ON THEIR SCHEDULE NEXT YEAR. THERE WILL NOT BE ANY DROPPING OF PE CLASSES. (WE MUST DO THIS FOR SCHEDULING/ALLOTTING SECTIONS EVENLY)
- Current 11th graders: If you plan to do a PE independent study for next year you must turn in the PE independent study form to our office by March 20th. If you do not and you do not sign up stating you will play two sports you will be placed in PE electives.