Varsity, JV and Freshman
Logistics and Tryout Process:
All prospective candidates should report to Harris Field tryouts on Monday, August 24th from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM (Freshman included). Freshman, sophomore, junior and senior players will tryout on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. First cuts will take place on Wednesday, however, tryouts are a fluid process. What this means is that every player will be spoken with by the end of Friday’s session. Players will either be: cut, told that they’ve made one of the teams and are still trying out, or told that they’ve made a specific team (ex: you’ve made JV). The first and last scenarios are easily understood. The second scenario occurs when coaches have evaluated a player and know that the player will be invited to be on one of the teams, but still need more time to make a final placement. So for example, coaches may be watching a player more to see if they’re ready for varsity, and if they aren’t, will invite that player to play JV. With all this said, the majority of each team is formed by the end of Wednesday’s morning session.
- Tryouts start Monday, August 24, 2020, for all grades 9-12 — Varsity, JV, and Freshman Teams.
- All players will meet at Belmont High School’s Harris Field at 10:00 AM.
- Players should bring sneakers, cleats, shin pads, and water to every tryout session.
- Depending on the number of candidates cuts may be made from all levels of the soccer program.
Preseason tryouts and practices will be physically demanding. It is in your best interest to show up in shape and ready to play to the best of your ability.
- 10:00 - 1:00 PM: Fitness Tests and Technical Work
- Beep Test
- Technical Stations
- 10:00 - 1:00 PM: 1 v 1, 2 v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v 2, 3 v 3 and 6 v 6
- 10:00-1:00 PM Full Sided Scrimmaging
- 3:30 PM Wayland Scrimmage (Varsity, JV and Freshman): bus @ 2:30
Pre-Season Scrimmage Schedule:
Scrimmages and other practices are scheduled for the following week. Occasionally, players continue their tryout into the following week to allow coaches to watch players during scrimmages against other teams.
This is our tentative schedule:
- Varsity, JV & Freshman: Wednesday, August 26th @ Wayland 3:30 PM. Bus pick up at 2:30 PM
- Varsity: Monday August 31st @ Cambridge Time TBD
- Varsity: @ Brookline Day and Time TBD
- Beep Test: We will be using the beep test again. It measures aerobic fitness and takes less than 20 minutes. A quick google search will give you more information regarding the test. It’s widely regarded as one of the most accurate ways to gauge a soccer player’s fitness level.
- Ladder: You run these distances consecutively with 90 seconds to recover in between each run, while also walking to the next starting block on track.
- 800 in under 3:10
- 600 in under 2:15
- 400 in under 1:30
- 200 in under :45
- 400 in under 1:35
- 600 in under 2:30
- 800 in under 3:20
REMEMBER: Fitness tests are only a portion of the overall skill-set coaches are assessing.
You will be assigned a numbered pinny on your arrival that you will wear for the duration of your tryout.
Other gear to bring:
- Running shoes,
- Plenty of Water
- Shin guards (Required)
- A positive attitude
Interested candidates can contact Mr. Bisceglia-Kane, Varsity Boys’ Soccer Coach, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime for more information. Looking forward to a great 2020 season!
Start your application process for fall sports by filling out this form: Sign up form for Fall Athletics
BHS Parents & Student Athletes are reminded that the following required forms need to be completed prior to try-outs. These forms are now E-forms and parents will receive access to them in an e-mail from BPS after June 10th.
- Parent permission form
- MIAA Chemical Health form
- Concussion Education form
- Seasonal Concussion History form
Proof of a Physical Exam should be sent to The Belmont High School Nurse by July 31, 2020 to ensure that they are processed prior to the start of Fall Sports. Currently per the State Department of Public Health regulations, Physical Exams are ONLY GOOD for 13 months from the date of the exam, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Athletic Participation Fee:
The athletic fee must be paid prior to the start of Fall Sports.( Due Date is August 15th) The on-line fee system will be available starting June 11th. If paying on-line, log in to the Belmont Public Schools website, click pay fees on-line and then follow the prompts.
Please take care of physicals and required athletic participation forms before arriving on the first day. There are many of these and candidates can only participate when ALL forms completed and are on file. It is recommended that you do this early/mid-summer to ensure your child can participate on the first day of tryouts. Make sure all paperwork is turned in before tryouts begin.
Players missing any requirements will not be able to participate in tryouts.