School Day Times
- Grades K-4 (M, T, Th, Fri) - 8:40 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.
- Grades K-4 (Wednesday) - 8:40 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.
- Kindergarten half day - 8:40 a.m. to 11:55 a.m.
- Early Release - 11:40 a.m.
- Before School Care Program (Student Care) - 7:15 a.m. to 8:40 a.m.
- After School Care Program ( Student Care) - 2:50 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
If your child will not be attending school due to illness of other reason, please call the attendance line at (617) 993-5602 by 8:30AM.
SUMMER OFFICE HOURS
The school office is open during the summer Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 3:00pm. – and on Friday from 8:00 – 1:00. However - both Ms. Spangler and Mrs. Sieberg may be out on a given day. (We will be taking some vacation!!) We recommend that you always call the office in order to be sure that someone is available.
Arrival and Dismissal
Getting to and from School - We continue to encourage parents and families to walk to school (either on your own or with a “walking school bus”) or to use the School Buses! Information on school buses can be found on the school web site.
Orchard Street Parking Lot – The Orchard Street parking lot is for teacher parking only. The driveway is a fire safety lane. NO PARENTS or visitors should be using the small parking to wait for their children. There is NO parent parking on site.
Arrival: In good weather, walkers and parent drop-off students will congregate in the Intermediate play area where they will meet with their grade level and class mates. In very cold (below 20°) or very rainy weather, students will sit at class assigned tables in the cafeteria or gym – as assigned by teachers.
Bus students will enter and be dismissed through the gymnasium.
Dismissal: K – 4 walkers and parent pick-up students will be dismissed by their teachers to the Intermediate Play area. As is currently the practice, students in grades 2 – 4 who walk without a parent, will be free to go upon dismissal. All kindergarten and 1st grade students will still need to have a “teacher to adult hand off”, which will happen just outside the Intermediate Main Door. Parents of 2nd – 4th grade students who walk or pick up their children, should plan on meeting their children in the Intermediate Play Area.
PRE-school Dismissal – Two preschool classes dismiss from the main doors (adjacent to the “blue playground”) at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesdays and 3:00 p.m. on Mon, Tue, and Th. The preschool would greatly appreciate it if parents and their children could be respectful of the fact that preschool is using that area for about 5-10 minutes each day, including the bench, the doors, and the entry way between the doors to ensure that dismissal time to be calm and safe for everyone – particularly our smallest students.
For Live Drop Off - All cars must access the school via Orchard Street (from Godon Street), then turn right into the main parking lot (near St. Joes). A cut out exists for live drop off in the main parking lot. Cars will have to exit right onto School Street from the Wellington Parking lot.
Written explanations for all absences are required. Parents or guardians should send a note with the child when the child returns to school. A student who is absent for three or more consecutive days due to illness may be required to report to the school nurse upon his or her return to school.
Driving and Traffic
The Town’s Traffic Advisory Committee (TAC) has met with the Wellington Building Committee, School Department, neighbors and other community members to establish the following procedures. Additionally, an engineering study was done by the consulting firm of Vanasse Hangen and Brustlin, Inc. Thanks to Glenn Clancy for summarizing:
- In general, the plan is to control access to the school while keeping traffic moving away from the school site during drop-off and pick-up hours.
- Access to both Glendale Road and Orchard Street will be restricted from Common Street between the hours of 7 and 9 Am and 2 and 4 Pm Mon - Fri. During those times, traffic will be allowed to travel down Glendale Road from Orchard Street only. Traffic will be allowed to travel down Orchard Street from Goden Street only.
- During the drop-off and pick-up hours access to the site will be from Orchard Street only and vehicles will exit onto School Street only.
- The Memorial Park side of Orchard Street along the school frontage will be posted No Parking Anytime and No Stopping or Standing. Parking will be allowed only along the school side for drop-off and pick-up. The school side of Orchard Street along the school frontage will be posted No Parking 7 - 9 Am and 2 - 4 Pm Mon - Fri.
- Traffic exiting the school site after drop-off/pick-up will not be allowed to turn left on School Street. A sign will be posted opposite the driveway exit stating No Left Turn 7 - 9 Am and 2 - 4 Pm Mon – Fri.
- Access to School Street, from Cottage Street to Common Street, will be restricted for traffic moving westbound 7 - 9 Am and 2 - 4 Pm Mon – Fri. All traffic moving westbound on School Street during these hours will have to turn onto Cottage Street, Myrtle Street or Goden Street.
- During the morning commute traffic is heaviest on School Street heading eastbound. This traffic will still be allowed unimpeded access to School Street from Common Street. In the afternoon the pattern reverses however most of the peak commuter traffic occurs after 4:00 Pm therefore the restricted access to School Street for west bound motorists will almost exclusively impact parents of Wellington children. The TAC feels parents will happily trade off inconvenience for increased safety around the school property.
- Access to Myrtle Street from Concord Avenue will be restricted from 7 - 9 Am and 2 - 4 Pm Mon – Fri. This results in Myrtle Street essentially becoming a one-way street, from School Street to Concord Avenue, during these times.