For Families

For Families

Chenery Middle School Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 

Q: How do I sign up for Chenery email?
A: Go to

Q: What is the procedure for absences and being late?
A: Call the school’s absence phone number by 8:30 a.m. on the day of the absence. The phone numbers are: Upper School Attendance 617-993-5830; Lower School Attendance 617-993-5820. If the school does not hear from parents or a guardian, school personnel will make efforts to contact them. Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. will be considered tardy and must sign in at the Lower or Upper School office with a note from a parent.

Q: When do students receive report cards?
A: In grade 5, Pupil Evaluation Forms are completed three times a year. These are either hand-carried home, given to parents at the fall conference or mailed home.

In 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, report cards are distributed four times a year, at the end of each marking period. Midway through the grading period 7th and 8th graders will be given an interim progress report to take home. Pupil evaluations are sent home shortly after the close of the evaluation period. Students will carry report card home for the first three terms, and they are asked to return a parent signature card to assure us that a parent or guardian has seen the report. The last report card is sent home by mail during the summer.

For 6th, 7th and 8th graders, grades are given to each student for each course in which he/she is enrolled.

The grades used are:

A = excellent work
B = above average
C = average
D = below average
F = failure

These grades are sometimes made more precise by the use of a + or -. Occasionally students receive a P (passing), F (failing), N (no grade), or I (incomplete). Students should always feel free to ask a teacher for help in understanding how a particular grade was determined. 

Q: How much is lunch and how do we purchase lunch?
A: Lunch costs $3. Parents may use online system to deposit money on their children's school meal account via credit/debit card. Checks sent to school to be credited to your child's Nutrikids account should be made payable to: Belmont Public Schools and should be delivered to Food Services in the morning before or after lunch. More information is available at 

Q: Where do we access homework online?
A: Some teachers post homework assignments on Student Portal: