What does the PTA do? How does the PTA benefit our kids?
And where do we spend the money?
The Butler PTA is a volunteer organization of parents that supports your child's education. The Butler PTA funds field trips and enrichment programs to enhance, elevate, and diversify each Butler student's school experience.
Arts & Enrichment Programs funded by the PTA in years past have included:
- Field trips: apple picking (Carlson's orchards) and Davis Farmland for Kindergarten, the Butterfly Place for 1st grade, Old Trolley Tour of Belmont for 2nd grade, MIT, Aquarium, and Plimouth Plantation for 3rd grade, Lowell Mills for 4th grade
- In-school presentations: Insects program (Steve Lechner), Weather program (Steve Lechner), Meteorologist visit, and kite workshop (Bull Hills Observatory) for 1st grade, Sled dog (John Kenney), Kenya (Gail LaRocca), and Soil (Mass Audubon/Habitat) for 2nd grade, Rocks and minerals program (MOS), and sound program (MOS) for 4th grade.
- 2 all school assemblies:
- Science assembly from Slapstick Science. To celebrate another successful Fun-Run fundraising event, we welcomed Ted Laurence. He taught Butler kids all about science in a really fun program, using his background in chemistry, physics, and math, combined with his experience as a circus performer!
- African Drumming assembly from Crocodile River Music. We welcomed Crocodile River Music to perform African and African-influenced music, including Brazilian, Caribbean and Flamenco. They hosted each grade in the library to introduce children to their instruments, followed by a K-4 assembly/music jam in the cafetorium.
The Butler PTA sponsors a variety of family-oriented and community-building events:
- Fall Picnic
- Library Night
- Art Show
- Movie Night
- Math and Science Night
- Fall Book Fair and Ice Cream Social
- 2 Walk to School Days
- Sprint Planting and Cleanup
- 2 Hours for Butler
- Color Day
- Fourth Grade Moving On Ceremony
The Butler PTA funds teachers’ instructional expenses, textbooks, and library books.
If you would like to learn more about the PTA, please read our annual summary for the End of Year 2015-2016
Joining a local PTA also makes you a member of the state and national organization, and includes certain benefits and discounts: National PTA benefits