School Day Times
Grades K-4 (M, T, Th, Fri) - 8:40 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.
Grades K-4 (Wednesday) - 8:40 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.
Kindergarten (half day) - 8:40 a.m. to 11:55 a.m.
Early Release - 11:40 a.m.
Burbank Before School Program (BBSP) - 7:25 a.m. to 8:40 a.m.
Burbank After School Program (BASP) - 1:40/2:50 p.m. to 5:50 p.m.
Instrumental Music - for grades 3 & 4 will take place on Thursdays.
If your child will not be attending school due to illness of other reason, please call the attendance line at (617) 993-5502 by 8:30AM.
Arrival is between 8:25 and 8:35. Children in grades 1-4 should assemble on the black top. When weather is inclement students should school proceed to the cafeteria. Supervision begins at 8:25 and children should not come before then. Kindergarten children may enter either from the playground or the side door to the carpeted corridor near the cafeteria. Teachers will bring children to their classrooms.
Kindergarten half day (11:55 a.m.) children may be picked up from the doors near the front steps of the school.
Students in grades K (full day)-4 dismissed at the end of the day (1:40/2:50 p.m.). Parents/caregivers who pick up children should make arrangements for meeting in front of, or behind the building.
Early Release Dates
There are early release days on a number of Wednesdays during the school year, primarily for parent/teacher conferences. Students are dismissed at 11:40 a.m. and no lunch is served that day. The Burbank After School Program (BASP) operates on early dismissal days. As the school lunch program is unavailable on these days, children in After-Care must bring a bag lunch with them to school.
Delayed Opening, Snow Days and other Emergency Closing information is available here
Attendance, Tardiness, Absence, Dismissal During The Day
Every day of school is important for children, with class attendance reported daily to the office.
- Late to School: Children who are late should come to the office first if it's after 8:45 a.m. (5 minutes or more after school starts at 8:40a.m.). Children have a better day when they start on time with the rest of the class.
- Absent: Children returning after any absence should have a note signed by parent or guardian explaining the reason for absence. This is given to the classroom teacher. After an absence of three days or more for illness, the student should see the school nurse. Phone calls about a day's absence are not necessary. However, do call or send a note if your child will be out for an extended period of time.
- Dismissal: If a student needs to be excused during the school day:
- Send a note to the teacher that morning in advance.
- Parent comes to the office to sign out the child. If someone other than the parent is picking up the child, this should be stated in the note.
- The child will report to the office and parent/guardian will sign child out; and sign back in if returning later in day.
Vacations During School Days
School vacations are scheduled well in advance each year. In fact, notice is given during the previous school year. Taking children out of school when school is in session sends a negative message to the child about the importance of being in school. Teachers are not required to provide school work or make up work for such circumstances.
At the discretion of the classroom teacher, students may have a 10-15 minute outdoor morning recess period, weather permitting. In addition, students in grades 1-4 have an outdoor recess for 10 or 15 minutes after eating lunch. If there are medical reasons for which a student cannot participate in outside recess, a note is required. Otherwise, if well enough to be in school, students are expected to go outside for recess. Students should be dressed appropriately, particularly in cold weather.
Children have a thirty-five minute lunch/recess time each day. They have the option of buying a hot lunch daily or bringing their own lunch. Milk is available for purchase daily. The menu is posted monthly online and each child receives a copy.
Lunch menu and price is available here
There are four lunch aides on duty in the cafeteria and on the playground during this time. On inclement days, children proceed from the cafeteria to their classrooms with the aides to finish their lunch/recess time. Parents are encouraged to eat lunch with their child from time to time. Please come to the office to sign in first and get a badge.