In this week’s newsletter
- First PTA Meeting on 9/24/18: Speakers, Details and Free Childcare
- 2018 Annual Appeal is Underway
- Library Trainings on 9/20 and 9/24/18
- Fall Social on 9/28/18: Volunteers Wanted
- Garden Volunteers Wanted and Garden Update
- Getting to School Safely Update
- Burbank School Directory: Action Required
But first a few important items…
PTA Meeting: Our first PTA Meeting is on 9/24/18 and will feature Superintendent Phelan and Belmont High School Project representative Jamie Shea. They will be speaking about important upcoming proposals that affect Burbank school as well as the entire school district. Please plan to attend. Free childcare will be offered (details below).
- Thank you to all teachers and staff for their outstanding effort on curriculum night--it is such a helpful night for parents, and we thank them for the thought and effort that goes into it.
- Thank you to all the Room Parents, and to Room Parent Coordinators Meghan Wright and Zarina Samai, for volunteering your time and organizational talents for curriculum night. Your efforts help bind our school community together.
- Thank you Jenny Kresse and Lourene Scott for co-hosting the Belmont-Boston Friends Group Meet and Greet, and to all the families to showed up to say hello.
- Thank you Harriet Wong, Heather Barr, Mary Lewis, Katherine Poulin-Kerstien, Jessie Bennet and Seetha Burtner for taking time out of your mornings during the busy month of September to show up early to Burbank and help direct the flow of traffic and parking around our school.
- Thank you to Cathy Meyer, Kim Foster and Hyon-Jee Voigt for co-hosting the wonderful Welcome Coffee on 9/14/18. It was a well-attended event with tasty treats, and parents had the opportunity to stay and chat.
FIRST PTA MEETING ON 9/24/18: SPEAKERS, DETAILS AND FREE CHILDCARE
FIRST PTA MEETING
Starts 6:30 p.m. on Monday Sept. 24
Burbank Elementary School Cafeteria
6:30-7:00 p.m.: PTA Business
(Principal’s Report, Annual Report, PTA Votes, Committee Chair Updates)
7:00-8:00 p.m.: Proposed Belmont 7-12 Middle/High School
Presentation by Superintendent JOHN PHELAN
& BHS Building Committee Rep. JAMIE SHEA
PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND
Learn about the proposal that will be up for a citizens’ vote on November 6
FREE CHILDCARE WILL BE PROVIDED*
(*Reservation required. Click [link] to reserve your spot..)
The PTA’s 2018 ANNUAL APPEAL IS UNDERWAY
The PTA’s Annual Appeal is off to a great start--thank you to those who have already contributed! We are aiming for 100% participation to make our annual budget. Let’s keep the momentum going. Make a donation online at https://burbank-pta.org/donate, or by sending a check in your child’s school folder. Donations can also be made in person at the PTA table during the remaining September school events (PTA Meeting on 9/24, or the Fall Social on 9/28). We ask you to contribute whatever you’re comfortable giving, and if you need a number, we suggest $125 PER CURRENT BURBANK CHILD. Every bit helps, so please join us and give what you can.
Your contribution directly helps enrich your child’s school experience. Examples of past partnerships between the Burbank PTA and the Burbank school include teacher grants, SMART boards, classroom supplies, grade-level enrichment activities, “Mathbrary” for Grade 2, Colonial Day for Grade 3, Kindergarten field trips, online enrichment subscriptions for Grades K-4, community-building events, school library and classroom library support, and teacher professional development.
LIBRARY TRAINING ON 9/20 AND 9/24/18
Do you have 30 minutes or so on a weekday morning? Spend it at the Burbank library! Library volunteers help Mrs. Hines check in, check-out, and reshelve books. Parents, you are welcome to volunteer during your child’s library time. If you are interested, please sign up with your Room Parent on Curriculum Night. Before volunteering, please be sure to attend a training session to learn to use our library’s check-in software.
New to the Burbank library? Library trainings take place on these two dates:
First training: Sept. 20 @ 8:45 a.m. in the library
Second training Sept. 24 @ 8:45 a.m. in the library
Contact Amitha Knight (email@example.com) with any questions
FALL SOCIAL ON 9/28/18: VOLUNTEERS WANTED
Burbank fall social!
A fun evening of music, dancing, cider and donuts!
Come spend the evening with friends new and old as we celebrate our wonderful Burbank Community.
Friday, September 28nd
Burbank Elementary School
Party starts at 6:30pm in the cafeteria!
Pizza for sale by the slice beginning at 6:00pm until sold out
Dancing starts at 7:15 pm in the gym!
featuring the High School Jazz Quintet
Parent Volunteers Wanted
Sign up at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ABAA2AABFC1-burbank
GARDEN VOLUNTEERS WANTED AND GARDEN UPDATE
The Gardens-Curriculum Committee is seeking a co-chair to help coordinate garden visits for Kindergarten and 3rd grade, once in the fall and once in the spring. Work with teachers to help students enjoy hands-on learning outside in the gardens. No gardening expertise needed. If interested to hear more, please contact Kim Foster <firstname.lastname@example.org> or Harriet Wong <email@example.com> or Heather Barr <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Read about the Burbank Gardens and how they are used by students and teachers here: http://www.burbankgarden.org/
Visit the Burbank Gardens table at the Fall Social! We'll have some tastes from the gardens to sample, and info about easy ways families can get involved.
GETTING TO SCHOOL SAFELY UPDATE
Thank you for following the Safe Routes to School guidelines for getting to school safely. It has been great to see how quickly families have adjusted to the new routine. Please become familiar with these guidelines so that buses and pedestrians can continue to get to and from school safely during busy transition times even without traffic cones and parent volunteers support. Here are a few reminders about getting t school safely.
- No parking is permitted on Gale Rd. between 8:00-9:00 a.m. across from the rolling drop-off area. All drop-off at Gale Rd. during this period is rolling drop-off.
- No parking is permitted on the odd side of Sharpe Rd. nor on the Sharpe Rd. curve (both sides) when approaching the school. Keeping teh curve free of cars has allowed the school buses to travel safely to the bus drop-off area, so please continue to find parking elsewhere.
- Please be mindful that Sharpe Rd. is not a rolling drop-off area. Rolling drop-off is only on Gale Rd. where an adult is present to safely receive your children when they disembark.
- If parking, please follow posted parking restrictions on Sharpe Rd. and Gale Rd., taking care not to obstruct crosswalks or residents' driveways (tip: park a couple blocks away to find a legal spot and walk to school with your child).
BURBANK DIRECTORY: ACTION REQUIRED
To be part of the Burbank Directory, please check off the boxes on the Student Update Form that gives the district permission to include your and separately, your child’s, information in the school’s directory. The Student Update form link was sent on Sept. 6 in an email with subject line: “BURBANK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: Please verify information for <Student Name>.”
If you would like to customize your directory information (the default is "Parent 1 & Parent 2") or include a second phone number, email address, or home address, please email Katherine Poulin-Kerstien at email@example.com with the following information: student name, homeroom, grade, parent(s) name, the changes or additions you would like included. You have until September 30th to request changes or additions.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Monday, September 24 @ 6:30 p.m. (cafeteria): PTA Meeting
- Sept 20 or Sept. 24 from 8:45-9:45 a.m. Library volunteer training (attend one session)
Friday, September 28 @ 6:30 p.m. (cafeteria): Fall Social (please note the start time)
JOIN THE BURBANK PTA COMMUNITY ON FACEBOOK
CONTACT THE BURBANK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PTA
General email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Seetha Burtner, PTA Co-President: email@example.com
Jessie Bennett, Acting PTA Co-President: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hyon-Jee Voigt: Treasurer: email@example.com
Katherine Poulin-Kerstien, Former PTA Co-President: firstname.lastname@example.org