|Mary Lee Burbank Elementary School
266 School Street | Belmont, MA 02478
phone: 617 - 993 - 5500
|PTA News -- May 29, 2018 |
In this Week's Newsletter
- School Gardens! Burbank Directory! Fall Social! and more... Find out how you can help keep Burbank's many traditions alive here.
- Field Day on June 7th: Morning volunteers needed; slush ingredients listed
- Garden Tours & Tasks: three upcoming chances to visit the Garden Classroom with a tour guide!
- Mark your calendars: Check out upcoming May & June Events
- Facebook: connect with your Burbank friends and community
- Community Events
But first, a few important announcements. . .
RESCHEDULED: Burbank Modulars & Belmont High School Building Project Update: Wondering what to expect over the coming summer and fall with the Burbank Modulars Project? What about the BHS Building Project with an upcoming citizens' vote in November? Join us this Thursday, May 31 at 8:45 a.m. in the Burbank Cafeteria (rescheduled from Tuesday, June 5 at 8:45 a.m. the Burbank Library) for a presentation by Superintendent John Phelan and Building Committee Representative Jamie Shea to get up to speed on these important topics.
Walking Wednesdays Sneaker Trophy Challenge: Burbank Walking Wednesdays continues this week. Get yourself to school by any means that help the environment: walk, bike, bus, or carpool for the next 2 Wednesdays and help your class earn the Sneaker Trophy! Last week, Mrs. Chalmers' class won the Rainbow Trophy (for Kindergarten), Ms. Normile's class won the Gold Trophy (for 1st & 2nd grades), and Mr. von Huene's class won the Silver Trophy (for 3rd & 4th grades) for the 4th week in a row! We had an overall 74% of students coming to school by environmentally friendly modes of transportation. Great Job!
Help Keep Burbank's Many Traditions Alive
Be a PTA Co-Chair Next School Year!
All committees are open to additional volunteers, fresh perspectives, and new energy. Please see the online VOLUNTEER INTEREST FORM for information about all the committees and to indicate your interest. Please note, certain committees – the Directory, Fall Social, Burbank Walks, and Garden Committees – are most in need of volunteers.
Do you have questions about the time commitment involved? We have answers.
The number of hours involved, as well as the timing (day, evening or weekend; year-round or seasonal) varies from committee to committee, and volunteers find the sweet spot that works for them. Time estimates and a short description for all the committees are provided on the VOLUNTEER INTEREST FORM. Use the form to let you know what sounds interesting, and we will contact you to provide more information and see if you want to opt in.
Thank you for giving your time and talents!
FIELD DAY on June 7th
Burbank Field Day is set for Thursday, June 7th (rain date, June 14th). There will be two sessions during the day - feel free to sign up for one or both sessions:
CLICK HERE TO VOLUNTEER
- 3rd and 4th Graders: 9:00am - 11:30am
- K, 1st, and 2nd Graders: 12:10pm - 2:40pm
The PTA has ordered Richie's Ice in the all-natural Blue Raspberry and Watermelon flavors. Please find the ingredients listed below, and contact Heather Blake, RN, Burbank School Nurse, with any concerns.
- Watermelon: Water, White Grape and/or Pineapple Juice Conc., Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Added Color (Fruit and Vegetable Juice)
- Blue Raspberry: Water, White Grape and/or Pineapple Juice Conc., Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Phosphate, Artificial Color (Blue 1 Red 40)
Garden Tours & Tasks!
Families are invited to visit and enjoy the school's Garden Classroom (near the playground) after dismissal on the dates listed below. Come take a guided tour, see what's growing, learn about fragrant Colonial Herbs, check out the veggies in the root-view planters, and help out with easy weeding and watering jobs. Children and adults welcome!
- Thursday, May 31, 2:50-3:30 pm Come help plant beans and cucumbers to grow up the teepee!
- Friday, June 1, 2:50-3:30 pm Come learn about Colonial Herbs, then help water the herbs and butterfly garden.
- Monday, June 4, 2:50-3:30 pm Come see the brand new installation of Burbank's painted rocks, celebrating the individuality of every student and teacher in our school community! Your child painted a rock during this whole-school art and SEL project – come find their special rock in the garden (but please leave it there to be part of the colorful art installation).
Join us in the Garden Classroom!
The Burbank Gardens Committee
Mark Your Calendars!
Wednesday, May 30th
Early release day: 11:40 a.m. dismissal, Friday schedule
Thursday, May 31st
Burbank Modulars Project & Belmont High School Building Project Updates:
8:45-9:45 a.m. in the Burbank Cafeteria
Presentation by Superintendent John Phelan and Jamie Shea
Tuesday, June 5th
Second Grade Wax Museum: 8:45-9:45 a.m. in the Burbank Cafeteria
Thursday, June 7th
Field Day: 3rd & 4th graders participate 9:00-11:30 a.m. and
K-2nd graders participate 12:10-2:20 p.m.
(Rain date: Thursday, June 14th)
Tuesday, June 12th
Fourth Grade Moving On Ceremony: 9:00 a.m. in the Burbank Cafeteria
Friday, June 15th
End of Year Assembly: at 9:00 a.m. for K-2nd grades and at 10:00 a.m. for 3-4th grades, in the gym
Wednesday, June 20th
Last Day of School: 11:40 a.m. dismissal
Connect, sign-up, stay informed, and participate!
Join us at the Burbank PTA Community group.
Hope to see you there!
FBE STAR Awards – Say Thank You to a Special Teacher
Make a tax-deductible donation of $25 or more to the Foundation for Belmont Education's STAR program and the FBE will send your honored individual a STAR certificate, including your name(s) and an optional personalized message. The dollar amount of your gift will not be included. For more information about the STAR Award program, including online ordering or to print out an order form, please visit www.fbe-belmont.org/star.
Please place your order by June 12th to ensure delivery to your honored individual before schools close for the summer.
If you have questions about the STAR Award program, please email Chris Kochem at email@example.com or (617) 489-4661.
Spring into Summer Reading at the Chenery Author Festival & Book Fair!
Thursday, June 7, 2018, 3:00 - 5:30 pm in the Chenery Cafeteria,
followed by a 6:30 pm signing at Belmont Books, 79 Leonard Street, Belmont.
Book sales to benefit Chenery Library. Stock up on summer reading titles! All elementary school students in Belmont are invited!
- Meet authors & ask them questions!
- Buy books & have authors sign them!
- Discover what’s happening at Belmont Public Library!
- Help support the awesome Chenery Library!
- Join the authors for pizza and conversation after Chenery event at Belmont Books from 6:30-8!
June 5, 2018 by webmaster|
| news & calendars
| site map
| contact us
| school info
| pta | for
families | departments