|Mary Lee Burbank Elementary School
266 School Street | Belmont, MA 02478
phone: 617 - 993 - 5500
|PTA News -- Mar. 13, 2018 |
In this Week's Newsletter
- Geography Challenge: Call for Volunteers & Event Schedule
- Register Your Spot! Burbank Multicultural Fair: Register by Thursday, March 22nd
- NEW DATE for "Shop at Wilson Farm" Day 2018: Wednesday, March 28th
- Burbank Food Drive: Thursday, March 29th
- Mark your calendars: March Events
- Facebook: connect with the Burbank community
- Community Events: FBE Online Auction: Now open for bidding; Donate or attend: FBE Silver Anniversary Fundraiser on March 17th; Outstanding Teacher Awards: Nominate today!; Save the Date: SEPAC Resource Fair on March 28th
But first, a few announcements. . .
Geography Challenge Schedule for 2nd Grade Teams: Please note that the 2nd grade Geography Challenge teams will start at 10:00 am on Thursday, March 22nd, and NOT at 9:00 am.
Movie Night Thank You: Let's SING out our thanks to Jessse Souweine and Kelly Imberman for organizing a very fun Movie Night last Friday! Students and their families were treated to a cozy evening in Burbank's own Cafetorium-Theater, and a good time was had by all!
Geography Challenge Next Week
Call for Volunteers:
Help the event run smoothly!
This two day event needs helping hands before, during and after. If you are free, please sign up using the link below. Thank you very much!
Volunteer at Geography Challenge
Families are welcome to come support their student and enjoy the display of knowledge and teamwork. Don’t forget to coordinate with your team on a theme or color to wear the day of the Challenge. Please note the date and start times for each grade:
- March 22nd, 9:00-9:50 am: Kindergarten & 1st Grade
- March 22nd, 10:00-10:30 am: 2nd Grade
- March 23rd, 9:00-10:00 am: 3rd & 4th Grade
Questions? Contact the Geography Challenge Co-Chairs:
Clare Crawford (email@example.com)
Kathy Collins DerKazarian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Aida Parnagian (email@example.com)
Irina Zhygalko (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Register Your Spot!
Burbank Multicultural Fair
Register now to share about the country or culture you love, at our colorful biennial event, the Burbank Multicultural Fair! This is a unique opportunity for our children (and adults) to learn about different cultures and countries. The event will be held on:
Thursday, April 5th from 6:30-8:30pm
in the Burbank Cafeteria and Gym
This year, the Burbank Multicultural Fair invites both Exhibits and Performances to showcase cultural diversity. Whether you'd like to share your personal heritage, show us aspects of a culture/country you've visited and loved, or share a special interest in a culture/country even if you've never visited it, your participation is welcome!
Ways to participate:
- Set up an exhibit. This can include arts and crafts, maps, flags, pictures, games, souvenirs, currency, national clothes or food. It’s up to you!
- Show a cultural performance for 3-5 minutes on stage. This can be a dance, music, acrobatics, a demonstration, or any special presentation from the specific ancestry, culture, or country you are presenting.
Don't forget to wear your culture/country’s traditional clothing!
Click here to register!
Registration is limited for exhibits and performances, so sign up today! If you have any questions about ideas, email Seetha Burtner (email@example.com), Patricia Wolff (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Narine Van Hal (email@example.com).
Burbank Food Drive
Thursday, March 29th
Help stock the Belmont Food Pantry! We will be collecting food and toiletries on the blacktop during morning drop-off on Thursday, March 29th. Please share what you can!
Food Items in Highest Demand:
- Ground Coffee
- Instant Coffee
- Chunky Peanut Butter (not creamy)
- Instant Cook Rice (instant, not regular)
- Pasta Sauce in Jars (not cans)
- Dried beans (1 lb bags, not cans)
- Certain Canned Veggies (Corn, Spinach, Mushroom, Beets, Potato only)
- 2 lb boxes of Granulated Sugar
Toiletries & Paper Goods in Highest Demand:
- Dish Detergent
- Spray Cleaners
- Dish Sponges
- Paper Towels
- Toilet Paper
- Paper Napkins
Mark Your Calendars!
Wednesday, March 21st
Early release day: school ends at 11:40 a.m., Thursday schedule
Thursday, March 22nd
Burbank Multicultural Fair Registration Deadline:
Register your performance or exhbit today!
Thursday, March 22nd & Friday, March 23rd
23rd Annual Dr. Feinberg Geography Challenge:
during morning school hours in Burbank Cafeteria
Wednesday, March 28th
Wilson Farm Shopping Day: 20% of purchases donated to support Belmont Schools
Wednesday, March 28th
Resource Fair: Belmont Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC)
7-8 p.m. @ Butler Elementary School
Thursday, March 29th
Burbank Food Drive: Food and toiletry collection for the Belmont Food Pantry on the blacktop before school
Facebook: Connect with the Burbank Community
Join us on Facebook at the Burbank PTA Community group.
Hope to see you there!
HUNDREDS OF FANTASTIC ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE, INCLUDING:
- Concert, Theater & Sports Tickets
- Special Belmont Experiences
- Architectural, Home Repair & Design Services
- Summer Camps & College Prep Courses
- Health Club Memberships, Fitness Classes & Spa Services
- Boston & Local Restaurant Gift Certificates
- Hotels, Vacation Getaways & Much More!
VIEW ITEMS, BID NOW, AND HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE BELMONT PUBLIC SCHOOLS! AUCTION ENDS ON SUNDAY, MARCH 25th AT 10 PM.
Silver Anniversary Fundraiser
Saturday, March 17th
7:00 – 10:30 p.m.
Belmont Hill School
Purchase Tickets Event Details Donate to the FBE
Top Ten Reasons to Celebrate with the FBE on March 17th
- Recognize an organization that has given more than $3.5 million to the Belmont Public Schools
- Bid on one-of-a-kind experiences in Boston and beyond
- Shed your casual clothes and dress up
- Participate in the Silent Auction
- Have a date night or a night out with friends
- Celebrate FBE grants and enrichment programs
- Bid on tickets to one of Broadway’s hottest shows when it comes to Boston this fall
- Find out who wins the $1000 cash raffle prize
- Toast the FBE for 25 great years of enriching the Belmont Public Schools
- Have a great time!
We couldn't stop at just 10 reasons! Check out our list of 25 Reasons to Celebrate on March 17th!
Outstanding Teacher Awards, 2018
Submit Nominations by March 31st
The Foundation for Belmont Education is excited to announce the 2018 Outstanding Teacher Awards. This program recognizes and celebrates the extraordinary contributions made by teachers in the Belmont Public Schools.
Nominations are currently being accepted for these awards. Belmont parents and community members, Belmont Public School colleagues, and high school and middle school students can submit nominations for teachers - of any grade, subject, or specialty - who deserve this special recognition.
Teachers from Belmont’s six schools are chosen for this award. Each award winner will be honored at a surprise celebration at their school and at a district-wide awards ceremony to be held on May 1st at the Chenery Middle School.
Nominate an Outstanding Teacher Today!
Online Nomination Form
Belmont Special Education Parent Advisory Council: Resource Fair
March 28 @ 7-8 p.m. at the Butler elementary School cafeteria
90 White Street, Belmont MA 02478
Come explore a variety of community resources for students including:
Behavioral ServicesSocial Skills GroupsAdaptive SportsEducational Assessment
Occupational TherapyPhysical TherapySpeech TherapyServicesTutoring
The Belmont SEPAC works to advocate, advise and assist families.
March 19, 2018 by webmaster|
| news & calendars
| site map
| contact us
| school info
| pta | for
families | departments