We Strive for Love of Learning, Respect and Well Being
Learn Think Create Serve
Dear Burbank Families,
It’s hard to believe that we are already half way through October! Fall weather (with some extreme moments) has settled in here in the Burbank neighborhood as we progress through the year. As I have mentioned before, autumn’s fickle temperatures make it a good time for layers of clothing to adapt to changing conditions. When layers come off, however, they are often misplaced and you can bet they will end up at the Burbank Lost & Found. Thanks to the efforts of our very own Katie Caritey, 2nd grade teacher, our Lost & Found has a new look! Shifted just a bit down the hall, there is now a rolling coat rack housing lost items. The new set up is attractive, but more importantly displays items clearly for more finding and less losing. We hope you’ll stop by and check it out.
We launched our Burbank Breakfast service this week and it has been a great success! Students are welcome to join us at 8:25. They may line up on the blacktop at door 10, also known to students as the door closest to the music room. If students arrive on the bus later than 8:35, they are still welcome to have breakfast, but are asked to bring their meal to class for a working breakfast. So far our systems have worked well and we’re glad students are starting the day on the right foot!
Have a great weekend,
Dates to Remember
- Wednesday, October 23: EARLY DISMISSAL – Parents Conferences- Tuesday schedule
- Thursday, October 24: Individual & Class Picture Day
- Wednesday, October 30: EARLY RELEASE – Parent Conferences-Friday schedule
- Wednesday, November 6: EARLY RELEASE – Parent Conferences-Thursday schedule
- Monday, November 11: NO SCHOOL – Veteran’s Day
- Thursday, November 14: Burbank Library Night
- Wednesday, November 27: EARLY RELEASE for Thanksgiving Break - Wednesday schedule
- November 28 & 29: NO SCHOOL – Thanksgiving Break
Early Release Day Flip – Flop Schedule
October 23, 30, and November 6 and 27 are all Early Release days. Nearly all early release days are on Wednesdays. In order for children not to miss the same specialist or program on these early release Wednesdays, another day of the week’s schedule sometimes replaces Wednesday’s schedule. For example, if Wednesday is a Thursday schedule, then Thursday will be Wednesday’s schedule for Physical Education, Art, Music, Library and Computer lab. Instrumental Music always follows the early release day schedule changes.
Check Dates to Remember for these changes.
Lost & Found Has A New Look
Please make sure to check the lost and found as soon as you notice your child is missing something. Our lost and found items can now be found in a new location in the hallway across from the art room on a clothing rack. Please check out lost and found as soon as you realize that you have lost an item of clothing, lunch bag, water bottle, etc.
The Burbank School, along with hundreds of schools nationwide, will be participating in a national healthy-eating initiative called P.A.C.K. Week.
Pack Assorted Colors for Kids Week.
October 21st – 25th
This is a fun and educational program that encouraging kids to eat a wide variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, as each has its own nutritional benefits. To get the broadest range of nutrients, all colors are important – Purple, white, red, yellow, orange and green. And kids love eating the rainbow! Each day of P.A.C.K. Week has been assigned a different color and we’re asking you to pack a fruit or vegetable for your child’s snack based on the color of the day. All forms of fruits and vegetables count, so consider packing 100% fruit juice, dried fruits or canned fruits/veggies as tasty options. Here are the days of P.A.C.K. Week with some packing tips to make it easy:
- Monday, October 21st is Pack Purple Day – consider packing purple 100% grape juice, raisins, blueberries and Concord grapes.
- Tuesday, October 22nd is Pack White Day – bananas, white peaches, pears, cauliflower with dressing are tasty choices.
- Wednesday, October 23rd is Pack Red Day – apples, cherries, strawberries, red pepper slices or grape tomatoes are great options
- Thursday, October 24th is Pack Yellow/Orange Day - baby carrots, dried apricots, pineapple, nectarines or oranges are easy to pack
- Friday, October 25th is Pack Green Day – go green with green grapes, celery sticks, broccoli florets, or a green apple.
We are also suggesting that your child wear the color of the day to make the program more fun!
Thanks for your support.
Heather Blake, BSN, M.Ed., RN
Burbank School Nurse
Vision & Hearing Screening
Vision and hearing screening has begun at the Burbank School. This is done annually in accordance with Massachusetts General Law. Each student is screened annually and notification is sent home if a child has difficulty with any of the screenings. If you do not receive notification, you can assume that your child has passed the basic school screening. These screenings are not intended to substitute for medical care. They are designed to ensure that students are able to participate in the school learning environment to the best of their abilities. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.
Heather Blake, BSN, M.Ed., RN (Burbank School Nurse)
PTA Website – PTA Calendar