Dear Burbank Families,
I am very pleased to announce that as of Tuesday, October 15th, Burbank will be offering breakfast for purchase through our BPS Food Services Department, aka the Cafeteria. We hope this service will fill an unmet need for some families who have busy mornings or long commutes, and be a useful option for all who need it.
Breakfast will be served to all Burbank students from 8:25 - 8:40 in the cafeteria. Students who receive transportation and arrive when the bus does irrespective of set breakfast times, will still have the option to purchase breakfast and alternative options will be available so that learning time is not interrupted by time in the cafeteria.
Breakfast will cost $1.75, $0.30 for reduced price or free for eligible students.
Food Services will provide a variety of items with both cold and hot options depending on the day. The menu may include items like Granola and Yogurt boxes, Bagel w/ CC, Egg and Cheese on an English Muffin, Eggs w/ Breakfast Potatoes, French Toast Bites. All would be offered with fruit and/or vegetables and milk.
We hope all families will appreciate this service, even if they do not take part often or at all. Burbank Breakfast is just one more way in which we do our best to support every student in every way.
If you have any questions please call me in the office at 617-993-5500, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates to Remember
- Monday, October 14: NO SCHOOL – Columbus Day
- Wednesday, October 23: EARLY DISMISSAL – Parents Conferences- Tuesday schedule
- Thursday, October 24: Individual & Class Picture Day
- Wednesday, October 30: EARLY RELEASE – Parent Conferences-Friday schedule
- Wednesday, November 6: EARLY RELEASE – Parent Conferences-Thursday schedule
- Monday, November 11: NO SCHOOL – Veteran’s Day
- Thursday, November 14: Burbank Library Night
- Wednesday, November 27: EARLY RELEASE for Thanksgiving Break - Wednesday schedule
- November 28 & 29: NO SCHOOL – Thanksgiving Break
Early Release Day Flip – Flop Schedule
October 23, 30, and November 6 and 27 are all Early Release days. Nearly all early release days are on Wednesdays. In order for children not to miss the same specialist or program on these early release Wednesdays, another day of the week’s schedule sometimes replaces Wednesday’s schedule. For example, if Wednesday is a Thursday schedule, then Thursday will be Wednesday’s schedule for Physical Education, Art, Music, Library and Computer lab. Instrumental Music always follows the early release day schedule changes.
Check Dates to Remember for these changes.
Lost & Found Reminder
Please make sure to check the lost and found as soon as you notice your child is missing something. Our lost and found items are accumulating so we ask you to check out the lost and found when you visit the school.
The Burbank School, along with hundreds of schools nationwide, will be participating in a national healthy-eating initiative called P.A.C.K. Week.
Pack Assorted Colors for Kids Week.
October 21st – 25th
This is a fun and educational program that encouraging kids to eat a wide variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, as each has its own nutritional benefits. To get the broadest range of nutrients, all colors are important – Purple, white, red, yellow, orange and green. And kids love eating the rainbow! Each day of P.A.C.K. Week has been assigned a different color and we’re asking you to pack a fruit or vegetable for your child’s snack based on the color of the day. All forms of fruits and vegetables count, so consider packing 100% fruit juice, dried fruits or canned fruits/veggies as tasty options. Here are the days of P.A.C.K. Week with some packing tips to make it easy:
• Monday, October 21st is Pack Purple Day – consider packing purple 100% grape juice, raisins, blueberries and Concord grapes.
• Tuesday, October 22nd is Pack White Day – bananas, white peaches, pears, cauliflower with dressing are tasty choices.
• Wednesday, October 23rd is Pack Red Day – apples, cherries, strawberries, red pepper slices or grape tomatoes are great options
• Thursday, October 24th is Pack Yellow/Orange Day - baby carrots, dried apricots, pineapple, nectarines or oranges are easy to pack
• Friday, October 25th is Pack Green Day – go green with green grapes, celery sticks, broccoli florets, or a green apple.
We are also suggesting that your child wear the color of the day to make the program more fun!
Thanks for your support.
Heather Blake, BSN, M.Ed., RN
Burbank School Nurse
Vision & Hearing Screening
Vision and hearing screening will begin soon at the Burbank School. This is done annually in accordance with Massachusetts General Law. Each student is screened annually and notification is sent home if a child has difficulty with any of the screenings. If you do not receive notification, you can assume that your child has passed the basic school screening. These screenings are not intended to substitute for medical care. They are designed to ensure that students are able to participate in the school learning environment to the best of their abilities. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.
Heather Blake, BSN, M.Ed., RN (Burbank School Nurse)
In an effort to reduce the clutter in your inbox to a minimum the PTA and I have agreed to provide you with the links to further information should you need it.
PTA Website – PTA Newsletter – PTA Calendar