We Strive for Love of Learning, Respect and Well Being
Learn Think Create Serve
Dear Burbank Families,
We kicked off this past week with Curriculum Night at Burbank, which was well attended. This provided a great opportunity for parents to learn more about what their children will be learning this year. Thank you for attending, parental support is so important to everything we do at the Burbank School.
The first PTA meeting of the year will be on Monday, September 24th at 6:30 p.m. in the cafeteria. This year our School Improvement Plan includes two main points of focus: 1.) A focus on the “Elementary Curriculum Implementation 3-Year Plan”, within this district-wide plan, will be working on reading curriculum and instruction, and continued implementation of new science units 2.) Social Emotional Learning and the Achievement Gap. At future PTA meetings, and in newsletters, I will explain more about these goals, and our progress here at Burbank.
We had our first Community Meeting today. This was the first of six meetings that are held throughout the year, where the entire school comes together in the gym for an assembly. It was a nice opportunity to connect as a school community and re-establish our core values, and how unique and special each student and staff member is to our Burbank School Community.
Have a delightful weekend, and I hope to see you at the PTA meeting on Monday!
Tricia Clifford, Ed.D
Dates to Remember
- Monday, September 24: PTA Meeting 6:30-8:15pm
- Friday, September 28: Burbank Fall Social 6:00pm
- Thursday, October 4: Individual & Class Picture Day
- Monday, October 8: NO SCHOOL – Columbus Day
- Wednesday, October 24: EARLY DISMISSAL –Parents Conferences- Tuesday schedule
- Wednesday, October 31: EARLY RELEASE – Parent Conferences-Friday schedule
- Wednesday, November 7: EARLY RELEASE – Parent Conferences-Thursday schedule
- Monday, November 12: NO SCHOOL – Veteran’s Day
Art Room Request
Mrs. Pond, the art teacher, is looking for donations of wipes and tissues? If you would like to donate any of these items you can drop them off in the office or the Art room.
Burbank Participating in P.A.C.K. Week
The Burbank School, along with hundreds of schools nationwide, will be participating in a national healthy-eating initiative called P.A.C.K. Week.
Pack Assorted Colors for Kids Week.
October 15th – 19th
This is a fun and educational program that encouraging kids to eat a wide variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, as each has its own nutritional benefits. To get the broadest range of nutrients, all colors are important – Purple, white, red, yellow, orange and green. And kids love eating the rainbow! Each day of P.A.C.K. Week has been assigned a different color and we’re asking you to pack a fruit or vegetable for your child’s snack based on the color of the day. All forms of fruits and vegetables count, so consider packing 100% fruit juice, dried fruits or canned fruits/veggies as tasty options. Here are the days of P.A.C.K. Week with some packing tips to make it easy:
- Monday, October 15th is Pack Purple Day – consider packing purple 100% grape juice, raisins, blueberries and Concord grapes.
- Tuesday, October 16th is Pack White Day – bananas, white peaches, pears, cauliflower with dressing are tasty choices.
- Wednesday, October 17th is Pack Red Day – apples, cherries, strawberries, red pepper slices or grape tomatoes are great options
- Thursday, October 18th is Pack Yellow/Orange Day - baby carrots, dried apricots, pineapple, nectarines or oranges are easy to pack
- Friday, October 19th is Pack Green Day – go green with green grapes, celery sticks, broccoli florets, or a green apple.
We are also suggesting that your child wear the color of the day to make the program more fun!
Thanks for your support. Heather Blake, BSN, M.Ed., RN, Burbank School Nurse
6th Annual Dan Scharfman Memorial Run – September 30th
The 6th Annual Dan Scharfman Memorial Run is only THREE weeks away! Celebrate the beginning of the school year by joining your family, friends, neighbors, classmates, and teammates at the community event of the season.
Run (or walk or stroll) as an individual or register as a team. It's time to lace up your running shoes and join the "I Ran the Dan" club! There are 5K and 2K Races, run one or both! Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 9:30 am at the Belmont High School Track. Race shirts given to the first 500 registrants. Last year, more than 850 runners “Ran the Dan” and more than $25,000 was raised to support teachers and education in Belmont. And if running isn’t for you, there are still many opportunities to be involved with this fantastic event. To learn about volunteer opportunities and donation options, please visit Foundation for Belmont Education website at www.fbe-belmont.org/run.!
PTA Meeting, Monday September 24th @ Burbank Elementary School Cafeteria
- 6:30-7:00 pm: PTA Business: (Principal’s Report, Annual Report, PTA Votes, Committee Chair Updates)
- 7:00-8:00 pm: Proposed Belmont 7-12 Middle/High School: Presentation by Superintendent JOHN PHELAN & BHS Building Committee Rep. JAMIE SHEA
- PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND. Learn about the proposal that will be up for a citizens’ vote on November 6.
- FREE CHILDCARE WILL BE PROVIDED* (*Reservation required. Reserve your spot here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScPx55Y-HuqA3WqMCk7TbByBh6LW1zmFvXDegSq5utsBQYaOw/viewform)
Wanted: Volunteers for Fall Social
The fall social is a parent run event and we would love to have your help with several small volunteer jobs that are needed to hep the event run smoothly. Come have fun, and help out while you're at it.
Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d44abaa2aabfc1-burbank
How to Opt In to the Burbank Directory:
To be part of the Burbank Directory, please check off the box on the Student Update Form that gives the district your permission to include your and/or your child's information in the directory. The Student Update form link was sent on Sept. 6 in an email with subject line: “BURBANK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: Please verify information for <Student Name>"