The PTO sponsors a wide variety of activities for each grade, including both long-term clubs and short-term activities. Use the links on the left to navigate to your child's grade.
In-School Enrichment Programs
PTO Upper and Lower School Enrichment Coordinators are pulling together a fantastic slate of enrichment programs for the 2018—2019 school year. Nearly half of all PTO funds are used to support this programming. Your generous financial support of the PTO Annual Appeal makes it possible. Thank you!
Below is a tentative outline of programming planned:
- Grade 5
- Grade 6
- Grade 7
- Grade 8
- Julie Berry visit
- Simple Machines - January 2019
- Visit by Ben Franklin - June 2019
- Electricity - December 2018
- Mythmasters - April 2019
We are excited to add an additional enrichment this year for 7th graders. Urban Improv will present realistic scenes to open discussions on difficult subjects such as bullying, peer pressure, prejudice, stereotyping and racism. This workshop was chosen to create community building and to empower all students. Also returning for 7th graders is a revised Museum of Science "Dynamic Earth: Heat Flow." We also hope to welcome back Karim Nagri and his presentation of Arab music and dance.
8th grade students will be treated to the well loved program by Alastair Moock, "Music of Social Change," to coincide with the year end trip to DC. The Trial of Anthony Burns will return with a mock trial that discusses the enforcement of the fugitive slave law in pre-civil war America. Last but not least, The Museum of Science will be back with a slightly revised program on "Motion, Forces and Energy."
- Museum of Science - Motion, Speed & Velocity workshop - mid-December 2018
- Trial of Anthony Burns - interactive mock trial about the enforcement of the fugitive slave law in pre-Civil War America - May 2019
- Music of Social Change – program encouraging students to make connections between American history and the world we live in today - May 2019
Additionally: our Author Programs Coordinator is making arrangements, in coordination with the Chenery Librarian, for several amazing visits. Details coming soon!