Dear Parent/Guardian & Students:
The process of registering for classes for the 2017-2018 school year begins with course recommendations for the year. On January 26th-27th students will be given the course elective sheet in their English classes, they can begin considering which electives they are interested in taking for next year. The proposed Program of Studies is also online at http://www.belmont.k12.ma.us/bps/bhs/School-Information/Program-of-Studies for more detailed descriptions of courses. Teachers will talk with students between January 30th-February 7th about their recommendations for next year as well as answer any questions about electives in their department. On February 9th students will receive through PlusPortal in their E-Locker, as well as through their English classes a list of their course recommendations and another elective sheet. These forms must be signed by their parent/guardian and turned in to the guidance office no later than February 28th.
Students disagreeing with their placement in a recommended core academic class should first talk with their teacher and begin the course placement review process. Placement review forms can be found in PlusPortal under School Links & Files in the Course Selection Folder. These forms must also be completed and turned in by Feb 28th to the teacher of the current subject that you are requesting a change in recommendation for.
Students must register for at least 32 credits (including 2 credits for PE). Future eleventh graders must register for 32 credits, two of which must be PE electives, and future tenth graders must have 32 credits, 2 of which must be Positive Decision Making. If you have any questions, please contact your student's guidance counselor.
Important Dates in the Course Selection Process:
- January 26th-27th – Students receive elective grids in their English classes.
- January 30th-Feb. 7th – Teachers will talk with students about their course recommendations and answer any elective questions regarding classes in their department.
- February 9th-10th- Students will receive their course recommendations both on their PlusPortal account under E-Locker, and in English classes.
- February 13th-17th, February 27th-28th- Students who disagree with their placement recommendations meet with their teachers to start the placement review process. Placement review forms can be found in the Resource section in your PlusPortal. They must be completed and turned in to your teacher by Feb 28th.
- February 28th- Students must turn in to the guidance office their completed and parent/guardian signed course recommendation form. Any course placement review forms must also be turned into their respective teacher on this date.
- March 6-24th- Students meet with their guidance counselors to review choices and check graduation credits.
If the deadline is missed or the paperwork is incomplete, guidance will use the teacher recommendation and choose the best schedule for the student. Requests for changes in core courses that require a recommendation cannot be made after the February 28th deadline. Final elective changes must be made no later than the March meeting with your guidance counselor. There will be no add/drop period at the beginning of the 2017-18 school year.
Daniel E. Richards