Welcome to the 2016 BHS Connectors Program. You can find the signup info at the bottom of the page. Please read important background information below.
Belmont High School Class Connectors Program Mission Statement
The Belmont High School community wants to extend a warm welcome to new students. The BHS Class Connectors Program introduces entering freshmen to upperclassmen ("Connectors") who assist them in adjusting smoothly to life at BHS. The Connectors is a joint program of BHS staff, teachers, students, and the BHS PTO.
In 2016 the BHS Class Connectors will meet with new students during the New Student Orientation on Thursday, September 1, 5:00-7:15pm. Connectors will arrive early for setup and to stay after to help cleanup. A smaller Connectors event for upperclass transfer students will be held on Friday, September 2 at lunchtime.
Expectations of Connectors
To ensure that new students are given a proper welcome to the high school community, each Connector agrees to do the following:
- Connectors will register during the spring for the next school year's activities via the online form. Please provide an accurate email address that you will routinely monitor during the spring and summer. This will be the only mode of communication between the program coordinators and the Connectors.
- Connectors will volunteer at New Student Orientation, held on the evening of Thursday, September 1, 2016. Connectors will be assigned to assist with tours, socialize over pizza dinner, or meet with students along with guidance counselors.
- Connectors will attend a mandatory training session on Wednesday, August 31th, the evening before the New Student Orientation event.
- Connectors will complete all paperwork (including evaluations and community service forms) associated with the program.
- Before signing up to be a Connector, please check calendars for your and your family carefully for vacations and any other potential conflicts. The success of the program depends on your committed participation once you are selected.
- Marching Band conflict -- Please note that marching band rehearsals conflict with the Connector events and so marching band participants should not sign up to participate.
- You will receive 4 hours of community service credit.
The Connector program is partially student led. We are looking for 8-10 students to help plan and lead the event along with BHS and PTO Program Coordinators. To help ensure that the event runs smoothly, the leaders will:
- Assist with planning the Upperclassmen Training on August 31
- Sign up to co-lead one of the following aspects of the Freshman Orientation:
ii) meetings with guidance counselors
iii) café pizza and game
iv) event publicity
- Strive to be available for two organizational meetings (likely May 31 (10:30am-11:15am and June 7 (6:45-7:30am).
- Read occasional email during the summer.
- Be available on the afternoons of August 31 and September 1.
- Create and/or present information during Upperclassmen Training
- Create posters to be used during the Connector Event
- Leaders will receive additional community service credit.
Opportunities are limited! Please contact Ms. Melnikoff if you have questions about becoming a Connector Leader.
Our primary way to communicate with you is by email. Any communication from us will include the words "Class Connectors". Our email address is: BHSConnectors@belmont.k12.ma.us