Belmont Town Bylaw Regarding Snow Shoveling
- Residents have until 8:00 PM the day following the end of the storm to clear the sidewalk of snow, slush and ice adjacent to their property to ensure safe pedestrian passage. Town of Belmont Winter Storm Information Brochure
- For an assistance, there are a limited number of volunteers who may be able to help by calling (617) 993-2970. For those that are handy with a snow shovel, please consider checking on your neighbors and offering a helping hand when possible.
- The Town of Belmont has several community sand barrels located around town. To find your nearest one click here. These are open to residents, providing a sandy mixture to help with traction on snowy and icy sidewalks.
- For enforcement or questions about sidewalk clearing, please call (617) 993-2664.
Early releases related to weather will be avoided because of all of the concerns and disruptions created by an unscheduled release. In the unlikely event that an unscheduled early release is necessary, it is crucial that we have accurate and updated contact information for parents/guardians. Please ensure that contact information is updated.
A good contingency plan for childcare, in the event of a school cancellation or school delay, will serve the best interests of both students and adults. Please take some time now to make sure everyone in your family knows the plan for an unexpected school closing or delay.
We all need to be prepared for cold, messy and potentially dangerous and changing weather conditions. Warm clothing, weather-proof footwear, hats and gloves are essential to ensure safety and good health. Please advise students about street, walkway and visibility hazards created by snow piles and ice patches. Bus stops too will be impacted by snow and ice and the town has limited capacity for clearing/maintaining bus stops particularly during and immediately after storms.
After school activity cancellations will be announced in the same manner as regular school closings.
There may be days on which parents might feel that their children should be kept home because of weather, even though the school is not closed. Although such absences are a parental responsibility and will be recorded as absences for the child, school authorities understand such decisions, especially when they are implemented with discretion and care.
"Lock Down" Procedures and Fire Evacuation Drills
Belmont High School and Chenery Middle School conduct "Lock Down" procedure drills and Fire drills. During the "Lock Down" drills, staff and students rehearse the responsibilities that are assigned to them in the building crisis response plan, a plan that was developed in conjunction with the Belmont Police Department. Check-in with your child to make sure that they fully understand their responsibilities in a crisis situation, and stress with them the need to take these drills very seriously. Just as we hold fire evacuation drills to test our response to a fire in the school, we periodically hold "Lock Down" drills at BHS and Chenery in order to ensure that we are adequately prepared to keep our students and staff safe.
Emergency Preparedness Resources
If it has been determined that a school building can no longer be occupied, students will be relocated to the following locations.
||To Relocation Site
|Belmont High School
|Grade 9 - Chenery School
Grade 10 - Chenery School
|Chenery, 95 Washington Street, phone: 617-993-5800
|Belmont High School
||Grades 11 & 12 - Winn Brook School
||Winn Brook, 97 Waterhouse Road, phone: 617-993-5700
||Grades 7 & 8 - BHS Gym
||Wellington, 121 Orchard Street, phone: 617-993-5600
||Grade 5 & 6 - Burbank School
||Burbank, 266 School Street, phone: 617-993-5500
||Chenery, 95 Washington Street, phone: 617-993-5800
||St. Luke’s Church
||St. Luke’s Church, 132 Lexington Street, phone: 617-484-1996
||All Saint’s Church or
St. Joseph's Church
All Saint’s Church, 17 Clark Street, phone: 617-484-2228
St. Joseph's Church, 124 Common Street, phone: 617-484-0279
|Winn Brook School
||Town Hall, 450 Concord Ave., phone: 617-993-2600
* Note: Except in instances where police/fire redirect student relocation.