The summer has brought some interesting weather as August (until now) has felt like September and I hope for our students’ and faculty’s sake that September does not feel like August.
I would like to welcome you to the Belmont Public Schools for the start of our 2014-2015 school year. Whether you are new to Belmont, a kindergarten parent, or already have students with us, I wish you and your children a wonderful start to the academic year.
Our faculty and staff have been working hard throughout the summer to prepare for the start of another school year. My thanks go out to our administrative assistants, custodians, teachers, and administrators who have worked to ensure a smooth opening for all.
The opening of school brings some good news stories that are important to share.
- Teachers have committed to some excellent professional development in technology, child readiness training, use of Google Docs, as well as welcoming our new teachers to the Belmont Public Schools in our mentor program.
- Our facilities staff, in conjunction with the Town Consolidated Facilities and Town Highway Departments, has been busy painting the ceiling of the Higginbottom Pool, replacing the turf and resurfacing the track at Harris Field, and making enhancements to the Belmont High School library. This work was in addition to the annual cleaning, painting, and maintenance of all six of our school buildings.
- The Leadership Council and the School Committee engaged in a three day Leadership Retreat last week to review and enhance the Belmont Public Schools Strategic Plan. It was a very busy and productive three days of work and collaboration. The Leadership Council utilized our existing Strategic Plan and reviewed the Modeling Group summaries that teachers, administrators, parents, and community members worked on last year to inform and prioritize the work for the 2014-15 school year. This information was presented to the School Committee in draft form and will be communicated in more detail at one of our September School Committee meetings. I would like to thank the School Committee and the Leadership Council for their energy, effort, and expertise in successfully taking on this work, and a special thanks to Assistant Superintendent, Janice Darias, for her invaluable assistance.
As September approaches it is great to ride by the Belmont High School fields and see our student athletes. Our goal is for all students to have a safe, productive school year, enabling them to develop the skills and confidence needed for success.
It has been my pleasure to meet so many dedicated parents, faculty members, town employees and town officials over the summer. As part of my Entry Plan into the Belmont Public Schools I will continue to meet with all the stakeholders and listen to their concerns, priorities, and hopes for our school community.
I will be hosting Superintendent’s Meet and Greet dates on:
- September 11, 2014 at 7:45 am to 8:45 am
- September 15, 2014 from 4:00 pm to 5:15 pm
* Both Meet and Greet sessions will take place at the Office of the Superintendent located at 644 Pleasant Street, Belmont, MA in the Conference Room.
I look forward to working with faculty and families to ensure that Belmont continues to provide an excellent educational experience for all of our students.
I would like to call your attention to the following dates.
- Wednesday, September 3rd – first day of school for grades 1 – 12
- Monday, September 8th – 1/2 day for Kindergarten – a notice stating which students begin on this day will be sent to parents.
- Tuesday, September 9th – 1/2 day for Kindergarten – a notice stating which students begin on this day will be sent home to parents.
- Tuesday, September 16th – School Committee Meeting (7:30 pm Chenery Middle School Community Room)
- Wednesday, September 17th – early release for all grades: Burbank, Butler and Wellington (11:40 a.m.), Winn Brook (11:50 a.m.), Chenery (11:00 a.m.), High School (10:30 a.m.)
- Tuesday, September 23rd – School Committee Meeting (7:30 pm Chenery Middle School Community Room)
The complete 2014-2015 school calendar as well as other important information, including school hours, can be found on our website at www.belmont.k12.ma.us.
Please note the following contact numbers for Belmont Public Schools.
Superintendent John Phelan – 617-993-5401
Asst. Superintendent Janice Darias – 617-993-5410
Busing, Lunch Fees, Full Day Kindergarten Tuition – 617-993-5430
Student Services – 617-993-5440
- Burbank Elementary School – 617-993-5500
- Butler Elementary School – 617-993-5550
- Wellington Elementary School – 617-993-5600
- Winn Brook Elementary School – 617-993-5700
- Chenery Middle School – 617-993-5800
- Belmont High School – 617-993-5900
- Belmont High School Attendance Line – 617-993-5999
- Belmont High School Guidance Office – 617-993-5910
Have a great long weekend – see you next week!
John P. Phelan
Superintendent of Schools
John P. Phelan, Superintendent of Schools submitted